Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters With Formation Arrows For Writing Names

I don't think I've expressed myself very well in the title ...

What we're after is a copiable set of letters so that we can spell out the children's names on laminated sheets, and then if they wish they can practise tracing over these, going in the right direction. This would be mainly for the 'red group', i.e. the older children going up to school in September. Some of them are already writing their names and we would like to support them in the correct letter formation.

So basically I need a set of lower and upper case alphabet letters that I can cut and paste to create the various names.

Does that make any sense? And has anyone seen such a thing? I've tried googling but just come up with worksheets with all the letters on them. What I need is the individual ones to put together. I have a feeling I saw a font once with these arrows on it, but that you had to pay for it, as usual we would prefer a freebie!

Cant help you with letters but be careful, we feed about 9 schools 4 of them teach different types of writing. So check first with your feeder schools which they use

Good point, will check, we only feed into 2 schools (my daughter is in one reception class, her best friend is in the other) so have close contact with the teachers.

My dd's teacher uses read write inc and previously jolly phonics.

I had assumed letter formation was very much standardised in terms of direction!

I use a traffic light dot system-green for starting place, red for stopping place and yellow if theres a change mid way ie d

I print my children's names using word art - choose a 'hollow' font, made big, at the top of an A4 piece of paper (landscape). I mark starting place with red dot (felt pen!). We then laminate for them to write inside the letters and have a go themselves underneath when ready. This is a guided activity, not independent. They love them. (But I am in reception and many of my children need lots of activites to develop fine and gross motor movement before we start with these.)

I use a traffic light dot system-green for starting place, red for stopping place and yellow if theres a change mid way ie d

What a brilliant idea! :o

that is a brilliant idea - I take it you make those up yourself?

we are also after exactly the same thing Suzie, as ours who will be reception aged children are also writing their own names but their letter formation isn't at all right.

What font do people use when printing off names?

I use 'Comic Sans' but not sure if there maybe a better one?

What font do people use when printing off names?

We use the Sassoon font. Its a commercially produced one which you need to buy, to be legal. Here's a link to a really good 28 page bookley published by Derby City Council called "Developing young children's mark making and writing: A good practice guide". On page 2w there is a helpful sheet showing how letters should be formed. This uses the Sassoon font also.

I think I've got what you're after. Each of the letters is separate so you can copy and paste and make them bigger if you want to. I use them for names and as the whole alphabet.

I'm gonna try and attach it and see if it works! Fingers crossed...

alphabet_overwrite.doc

I think I've got what you're after. Each of the letters is separate so you can copy and paste and make them bigger if you want to. I use them for names and as the whole alphabet.

Perfect - that's exactly what I wanted - thank you SOOOOO much!

I don't suppose you have one for capitals for the start of their names? :o

Thanks for sharing missblinx :o

• 1 month later...

Hi

We w got one off sparklebox a few years ago but we're not allowed to use the site anymore! It

was perfect. It was editable so you just typed in the child's nam e and printed it off. You could even change the size to suit the length of the name/child.

I did put a request into twinkl but ive not checked recently

T. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)