Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dream Town Toys

klc106

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of opening a playgroup (2-5yr olds) and have been looking at the dream town toys available from places

like argos and ebay. Have any of you ever used any of these products or got any advice on whether or not you think they will be suitable for use at the playgroup?

Thanks

Me too - welcome to the forum, off to google and see what they are!

Ok, looked on amazon and my first thought is that it all looks very pink! Second thought is that it wouldn't be nearly robust enough for large groups of children - well not my lot anyway!

Edited by Cait

Welcome to the Forum!

I agree with the concerns over durability, and the general pinkness which may lead childern to assume that they are girls' toys. How much money do you have to spend?

As I am just starting up I am trying to think of different things to use in the role play area instead of just using the home corner.

I haven't got a set amount of money. At the moment I am listing the things that I would like to have.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

How about some cardboard boxes that the children can choose to make into their own ideas.consortium also do cardboard screens that can be used to create a space. Also you could try making your own by buying four tub trugs and cement broom handles (two short two long)into them screw four hooks in the top of the broom handles and use these to hang material from to create a 'space'. you want a commercially produces one i would tend toi go for something that is really flexible...we have panels that go together with star shaped connectors meaning that we are able to make just about any shape you can think of. Goodluck :o

In the setting I worked in we had lots of fisher price toys and playmobil (although watch out for little pieces) which were very good. ELC train sets....both wooden and the plastic happy street one which had roads for cars as well as trains.

2 good companies which we also purchased stuff from and found the quality to be good were Galt and Hope Have a look at their on-line shops to get an idea of some of their products.

As others have suggested, always nice to make things to enhance a topic. We set up a pizzeria with plastic plates, cups etc but we made the pizzas from paper plates and stuck things on them. Ice creams from paper cones stuffed with tissue paper. Menus were hand written and decorated and then laminated.

Hope this helps a bit :o

Did a search and found these topics that might help also

Essential Toys/ Equipment For A Reception Room

What Are Your Book Corner/book Box Must Haves?

Your Outdoor Playarea 'must Haves'

I am sure others will be along soon to add to the list of things they couldn't be without in their settings.

Good luck

'Wow Toys' are brilliant - very robust and lots for boys and girls. My own son had the ambulance which has always been played with by other visiting children.