Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff's Children

Just a quickie...do you lot let staff bring their children to work when they have a inservice day? I know its been asked before but I cant find the answers......I have always said yes but its getting a little bit out of hand!! xD:o

Lots of places don't. You can quote insurance and ratios as a reason. Also that however well behaved the child, the practitioner will not be able to give 100% to work.

We do because otherwise we wouldn't have any staff, they all have kids at the same schools.

Personally I'd rather they didn't but we have to be realistic in our small setting, if we are to stay open on INSET days.

Luckily they are all very nice and well behaved!

We too would let staff bring in their children if this circumstance ever arose. With a very small team we had no choice!

I'm curious as to why you think its out of control? I always found it really beneficial to have older children in the setting. They were always really keen to read stories and play with the playgroup children.

ours did, but depended on age of child as under 8s were counted in ratio - so could cause issues...

they were in the most well behaved and all had come through the preschool so knew me and did respond to me, not playing up to mum which could always happen. I had one child who came in who fitted into the preschool as if she had never left .

Think you have to assess if it is causing issues with the care of the children .

Eventiually we decided to keep to the days the school was open and hence closed on their inset days... not all children went to the same school thouigh so this did cause issues when they were different days.. we operated a shift swap system for those occasional days.

I also let staff bring in their children (I have 2 children myself!) having said that all girls and at secondary school so the younger children adore them when they come in!! In fact on of our little ones has named her guinea pig after my eldest daughter!! :o

Kris

As a childminder I obviously keep my children at home on these days and sometimes have some of their friends too. Being over 5 they don't figure in my school-time ratios so it's not a problem.

I, like Beau, see this as a really positive thing. It's an opportunity for the little ones to learn from different role models, to have a bit of extra attention and perhaps do something a bit out of the ordinary. It's refreshing and exciting to have some different people around. Obviously I expect high standards of behaviour from the older children. If behaviour were an issue I might reconsider, especially about those who are not my own.

We had the same issue and previously children of staff had not been allowed to attend for inset days, staff meetings, development or deep clean days. This generated alot of bad feeling and meant that the setting was short staffed at these times!

Having 3 children in different schools, as soon as I took over as manager I knocked up this policy!!! All our children now feel a part of the setting and love coming! It means that no body has an excuse not to attend meetings etc and staff really appreciate it. As the children have grown up and been through themselves they are familiar with most of us and we never have any issues regarding boredom or behaviour.

eyf_older_ch._att_setting.docx

Hi

As inge said you need to count children under 8 in the ratio's. But maybe this isn't a problem as we generally get lots of others not turn up on inset days at the school. The other thing is our PLA insurance only covers children under 12 unless on school work expereince. This maybe a problem if the older child accidently hurts a younger child.

Its all a minefield.

Hi

As inge said you need to count children under 8 in the ratio's. But maybe this isn't a problem as we generally get lots of others not turn up on inset days at the school. The other thing is our PLA insurance only covers children under 12 unless on school work expereince. This maybe a problem if the older child accidently hurts a younger child.

Its all a minefield.

At the moment this isn't a problem as they are all over 8, and checked with insurance, which was all ok, we're on the voluntary and childcare register too so think we're ok......going to have to check now though!!!!

We used to do this and, as other have said, because they had previously been at the preschool it was like they had never been away. I also found them to be really useful in terms of demonstrating positive behaviour and generally being helpful without he younger children. However we did put an end to it a few years ago as it was becoming problematic. Certain staff hadn't brought their children to us so it was all a bit of a novelty for them and that combine with their parent not being able to detach from caring for their own child made the situation less than ideal. We found that the older children were more interested in what they could do themselves than with being part of the group and they weren't very careful or considerate of the smaller children. I don't mean to sound mean in this but as shirel says in the opening it was getting out of hand. Now we either swap sessions, close for the day or ask staff to make alternative arrangements for their children. We use the insurance and registration excuses to stop anyone feeling put out.

Just to explain myself further....I mean getting out of hand in terms of we are really busy at the moment and the general day to day running of the nursery is hard....without writing an essay I realise it is difficult for readers to understand where I am coming from but I am having problems with a member of staff and the day that the extra child needs to be in next week is the most difficult day of the week with regard to dynamics of children and staff! I think I am trying to deal with it all and it seems like another thing to worry about having another 'little' adult around (she is 12) - we have four members of staff that day and one extra for our child with additional needs....one room....22 children...yes the doors are open but if only a few children choose to go outside it is a really really busy, noisy environment......amazing how different days can be with different staff....it seems one member of staff is yet again upsetting the apple cart....

Is there nobody who could look after the child whilst Mum is at work if it is going to upset the apple cart so much - can she not go to a friends or something? If Mum worked in a shop or office she wouldn't be able to take the child with her to work so why assume it's ok because you work in childcare ? :o

I guess so....I think I feel uncomfortable about it as if I do say NO then I really need to say NO to all other staff and really it feels a bit mean as I do too feel that it is generally a good thing to have older children in and can see all the benefits....its just this session is so fraught? I will probably let her come in - but with a heavy heart - am feeling a bit down trodden at the moment...not really a good manager.....not assertive enough and when I am I feel horrible even when I know without doubt it is a good decision...its the repurcussions of being proactive!

Its one of those cases where youu need to pick your battles isnt it? As yu say, you have to have one rule for all on this, but is it the most importnat thing for your attention just now? Its one day, so I suspect not.

Maybe you can address this as a team at another time, considering what they can actually do to support the settings on days you have this. Or you make a blanket ban. My school always allowed staff children in, and tey invariably gravitiated towards the nursery, so we just gave them jobs to do and parents checked on them regularly.

To be honest, staff prefrred not to and it usually a last resort.

I guess so....I think I feel uncomfortable about it as if I do say NO then I really need to say NO to all other staff and really it feels a bit mean as I do too feel that it is generally a good thing to have older children in and can see all the benefits....its just this session is so fraught? I will probably let her come in - but with a heavy heart - am feeling a bit down trodden at the moment...not really a good manager.....not assertive enough and when I am I feel horrible even when I know without doubt it is a good decision...its the repurcussions of being proactive!

Ah I feel for you...Ive been feeling like I'm a bit of a rubbish 'manager' too lately.. assertiveness is a challenge.

When I first read the post I thought you meant bringing children to your own inset days.. I used to have issues with this and so stopped it for all staff. Wasnt very popular but redjayne is right - why assume its okay if in childcare when you'd never think of bringing children to a staff meeting any where else...however taking children to work when they have no school is an option for some even if not in childcare and I have allowed that to happen though make it clear that I prefer not.

Would get out of hand if all staffs children did it at the same time but luckily that doesnt happen.

Could you not speak to the staff member and explain that you are concerned about the dynamics of the session and that although you could accomodate if necessary could she try to make alternative arrangements this time? Explaining the situation and your very real concerns (is she aware of how stressful this session is?) may help.

Suggesting she swaps a session with another staff member also sounds a good option.

Hope things get better soon!