Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Retirement Age On Contracts

We're just about to issue contracts to new staff members.

I have a vague memory that we can't include an official retirement age anymore (it specifies 65 years). Is that something still in the pipeline or has it become law or am I fantasising?

Thanks!

As Rea said.. new law about to e passed or has been that employers are no longer allowed to state a retirement age, you can retire at the 'official' recognised age but employer can no longer insist..

all the beginning of the next phase of retiring later in life... My official retirement age is 65, not 60, later retirement for women is being phased in from now.. along with things like bus pass are no longer 60 but gradually moving each year..

I suppose when 60 and 65 were originally set people did not live as long or continue to be as active as they are now , my son believes by the time he is due to retire it will be more like 75! So starting a good pension now so he doesn't have to!!

Taken from Pay & Benifits mag Feb 2011

The default retirement age will be phased out over a six month period

from the 6th April 11

During this time only those notified prior to 6th April 2011 and are due to retire befor 1st Oct 2011 can be compulsorily retired

Guest jenpercy

No yuo are not required to have a retirement age - in fact you definately shouldn't. people may retire when they reach their state retirement age - if they wish to. If you wish to retire anyone, you will have to amke out a case that they can no long do the job - even with "reasonable adjustments on your part.

When I started our contracts said 60 - for men and women as it was thought that children needed relatively younger people to relate to them and 60 was as low as we could go without a pension scheme.

i have been wondering about how people feel that this will impinge on them. Could you end up a few years down the line with all the staff in late 60s and how do you think it would affect you.

When I started our contracts said 60 - for men and women as it was thought that children needed relatively younger people to relate to them and 60 was as low as we could go without a pension scheme.

I think that children benefit from having staff of all ages! Far more natural, and as long as staff feel they can meet all the challenges of the role then I see no problem in using experienced staff.

• 3 weeks later...

We do not have a Retirement age on our contracts. However, of 11 staff 4 of us are over 60 and still going strong. I myself was 65 last October and I am still very much involved in learning - did my Level 4 NVQ last year. The remainder of the staff are between 40 and 48. I think our ages are irrelevant - it is how we do the job that is important and my staff are excellent.

I think that us oldies have a lot to offer through our experience of life and parents like our setting because of the maturity of the staff. I think I will have to be carried out in a wooden box!65 and still going strong!

Entirely agree with you, well i would i am an oldie myself. I have 4 younger staff and 4 older, no guessing which group has the most energy though and always willing to outside and play. We were not brought up with central heating and walked everywhere.I have a staff member who is nearing 70 and she relates to the children well, has bags of energy and committment and has seen 3 generations through the pre-school.