Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Looking At A Property For Pre-school

laura

Ok, very exciting day tomorrow, I'm going to view a property! Right next to our rented building are a block of 4 flats, the building used to be something to do with a brewery. It has come on the market for a bargain price. We are thinking that I could live in the top half of the building with my family (have been looking at moving anyway) and have the preschool below, possibly expanding to a day nursery in the future. I'm hoping that as it used to be a business, swapping the downstairs back to business use shouldn't be too much of problem. Has anyone had any experience of buying building, what do I need to do, who do I need to speak to as regards planning etc, I'm assuming the council would be able to give an idea as to whether it was do-able.

Ooo gosh its very exciting!!!!! Fingers crossed my hubby can see my vision!

It all sounds very exciting! Give the planning department at your council a quick call, they will be able to advise on the change of use back to business. You might not even need planning permission, but it's good to be on-side with them, so if you make the initial contact, they'll probably be even more helpful. Do make sure you check out WHY it's a 'bargain price' though.....

Well, we had a look round the building and it is all do-able. At first we were thinking 'yes we can do it' but now i think we are wondering how we are going to raise the money to do it. One flat could be rented out. The other 3 would be pre-school, and our living space. Oh I so wish I knew were to go, who to ask, someone to give me all the answers! I was just having a look for grants but that seems like a neverending list with tons of restrictions!!!! Agghhhhh!

laura can you talk to your business advisor at your borough? they should be able to help you through the process as they will have done it with other settings :o good luck ...you need to start to get your business plan into action to see if it is do-able work out available square footage and then how many children you can get in that space as a starting point