Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paid For Courses?

Hi,

I am on a pre-school committee at my son's PS. Three staff recently spent 12 hours over 2 Saturdays doing first aid training. Would you expect to be paid for that? Or would you say the qualification is of benefit to you personally if you were to look for another job? Or pay half?

Any wise words?

we used to pay the staff for the time...

it is something they have to do for the setting.. not an optional course..

and having to give up 2 Saturdays we always felt a big thing to do..

along with all th extras the staff always did unpaid... this was one way we could show how much it was all valued.

Yes we have always paid our staff, and yes they could go elsewhere and use it, but i would rather have staffed trained in my provision irrespective of whether they choose to stay or go. As a first aid training course is a small amount compared to some of the more extensive courses, then i would suggest you put something into a contract with them.

Agree with previous post our staff do lots beyond the call of duty and see it as a commitment and investment from the setting to them. :o

We are not in a position to pay our staff and pay for the training. We make this abundantly clear at interview, although we offer a kind of bonus scheme where if there is any "profit" at the end of the year, staff may gain a bonus payment. However this is fairly new and not guaranteed. I appreciate it is their own time but a setting should only start paying for this if they feel they can carry on doing it for all staff for the foreseeable future, otherwise it could lead to greater disharmony than not paying anyone in the first place.

I would pay staff, however as already stated in posts Kent don't do first aid on saturdays now, but do them in the week and I pay staff the whole time they are there.

As Suer said its a benifit to the setting, staff need to feel valued.

I am going to a conference on a Saturday and a staff member is going too I will probally pay for that even though she won't expect it.

Sue

I feel really tight now :o but we genuinely don't have the funds to pay for the time and the course as the courses tend to cost about £95 each. Fortunately we have all got valid certificates for the next year or so.

We pay our staff for all courses out of hours or in, except longer qualifications (NVQs etc). I would not expect anyone to do this for free, and it is bad enough to have to give up weekend time at all. I cannot think of any other profession where this would happen.

Unfortunately, our area still only offers first aid training during evenings and weekends, something which I find wholly unacceptable.

But hey ho.

I feel really tight now :o but we genuinely don't have the funds to pay for the time and the course as the courses tend to cost about £95 each. Fortunately we have all got valid certificates for the next year or so.

If Finlaysmaid is correct, and no reason to assume not - you may need to find a way. One person per year - would that be possible?

The way pay works for training in our setting is a little odd maybe!

If it is during working hours we are paid as normal, if it is outside working hours (very rare) we do not get paid.

With regard to first aid, the setting covers the cost of the training but it is in our contract that we repay the cost (on a sliding scale) if we leave within 3 years of doing the trainng.

I think this is very fair - why should my employer pay for a first aid course for me this week, me leave at the end of term and her have to pay for my replacement to do the course. THe training is somethign we can't leave behind.

I did the four module SENCO training and had no problem when some of it fell on days i do not work. I was happy to go it was for my benefit as well as the settings.

Guest jenpercy

You must pay if the hours worked in a week, including training means that the hourly rate would fall below minimum wage - and contracts must spell out what your ARRANGEMENTS ARE - IF THEY SIMPLY GIVE HOURLY RATE - THEN YOU MUST PAY.

Ok..now this is what i was asked as committee of school club from staff "can we claim for petrol"...at pre-school I dont get paid petrol for the corses i go on and just accept that i work for charity with little money. Staff at club are younger (and not so understanding!) and one knows that staff used to get paid petrol. However, we are sending staff on lots of courses for professional development not for legal reasons. Perhaps we suggest we pay petrol for those legal courses but not for the others???

Aargh! I have no doubt finlaysmaid is accurate so I'm going to qietly withdraw from this whole discussion and deny my own name in the future! To be honest this would just be another nail in our coffin at the moment and the lid is almost completely on already! No first aid certificates need updating in the near future so I'll be back when they do and act suitably vague about our discussion above!