Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sustained Shared Thinking

currycraver

Hi folks I am now on mudule 3 of my degree. I am interested in finding literature on sustained shared thinking and wondered if anyone could recommend any books or articles. I am also keen to use this at a meeting for staff and wondered if anyone had any ideas on resources such as video clips to support discussions on this topic. Thank you in advance :o

• 2 weeks later...

What a great video - perfect for supporting practitioners who might not be confident supporting children's role play! The point I especially liked in the commentary was the way it made explicit the important difference between asking questions that make children think and those that test children to see if they can give the 'correct' answer that the practitioner already knows, in any case.

• 1 month later...

Well that was a bit of an education for me!

I'd always thought of SST in terms of working together to solve problems. I'm not sure why I made that assumption but it's nice to know that my practice encompasses more SST than I realised!

On my EYPS course, evidencing Sustained Shared Thinking was flagged as really difficult for most practitioners.

But for me, this is what I do all day with children.

I think hali was asking in relation to EYPS, Upsy. Unfortunately there isn't enough time in the assessment visit to look at videos. :o

I'm not at all convinced there is really any need for all this 'evidencing' - if anyone is concerned to see if it is hapening then they should get off their ar***e and come and take a look - but that is another issue...

If you want (or really have) to show how good you are at SST then surely the best way is to use a video camera - most mobile phones do it and a lot of preschools have video cameras that the children can use too. Equally - recording the dialogue and transcribing a bit of it will do the trick...one advantage in doing both these things is that you could share the examples with colleagues here (for example) - and they can learn from them too.

Whats important here really is just the SST - that it is happening - and that we all recognise that lots of SST makes a very real difference to children's future lives...

Ok, I know I'm an EYPS virgin so there's probably loads that will go over my head here but surely that sort of high quality interaction between child and practitioner is so fundamental to good practice that without it the rest of the evidence would be pointless anyway.

Or am I being idealistic? :o

Ok, I know I'm an EYPS virgin so there's probably loads that will go over my head here but surely that sort of high quality interaction between child and practitioner is so fundamental to good practice that without it the rest of the evidence would be pointless anyway.

Or am I being idealistic? :o

...I suppose its only idealistic if you think it is happening everywhere all the time...Its actually quite hard to do if there are a lot of children and not too many staff - when I first started working with 4 year olds in Coventry I needed an extra 2 hours sleep every night - the constant interaction - concentration to listen was exhausting. But as you say it is fundamental so we just do our best.

How did I miss this??

That video is just perfect for training our girls! And for showing them they are really already doing it, just didn't realise, which will be an ego-booster :o

Thanks, John!

Sue

...I suppose its only idealistic if you think it is happening everywhere all the time...Its actually quite hard to do if there are a lot of children and not too many staff - when I first started working with 4 year olds in Coventry I needed an extra 2 hours sleep every night - the constant interaction - concentration to listen was exhausting. But as you say it is fundamental so we just do our best.

No, I wouldn't expect it to happen everywhere all of the time, however lovely that would be, but I would expect it to be happening for some of the time in a setting where an EYP is leading the practice.

I like to think I manage the type of interaction shown on the video at some point in each session I spend in the nursery where I work occasionally. I couldn't spend all my childminding day doing it but again I wouldn't be happy if I didn't feel we'd fitted in a few minutes here and there each day.

Maybe that's why I fall asleep in the chair every evening! :o

I'm not at all convinced there is really any need for all this 'evidencing' - if anyone is concerned to see if it is hapening then they should get off their ar***e and come and take a look - but that is another issue...

EYPS candidates have to provide the evidence that their practice meets the standards though, John. A necessary evil I believe if we want to gain the status, or any other qualification come to that.

I was lucky enought to have Iram Siraj Blatchford at our most recent EYP network development day, speaking about Sustained Shard thinking and what is the difference between quality and effective??

WONDERFUL!!!!!

I used feedback from this day along with the Marion Dowling materials, but haven't, as yet, investiagted whether Iram has any published materials on this subject..

appreciate links or titles if anyone has...

OH...and I have a new job YAY!!!!!!

I was lucky enought to have Iram Siraj Blatchford at our most recent EYP network development day, speaking about Sustained Shard thinking and what is the difference between quality and effective??

WONDERFUL!!!!!

I used feedback from this day along with the Marion Dowling materials, but haven't, as yet, investiagted whether Iram has any published materials on this subject..

appreciate links or titles if anyone has...

OH...and I have a new job YAY!!!!!!

Hi Lucie I was lucky enough to be at a recent EYP network development day with Iram Siraj Blatchford, possibly the same one in January? We were sent some information following the event from our local Early Years consulant.

I have been sharing the knowledge I gained with colleagues, and I look forward to looking at some of the materials mentioned to help me explain more fully what I mean.

I used this techique recently with a spontaneous role-play that ended up with the whole group being involved but I was particularly pleased that this included a child that has difficulty verbally interacting with other children. Let's just say it was a real light bulb moment for me and a really lovely session for the children, and actually something incredibly simple and effective, especially in a role play situation. It's not that I haven't engaged in role play before with children but the development day acted as a reminder of the benefits of SST, and the important thing is not to take over the play but extend in places. This role play was far more beneficial, especially to the child mentioned, than many of the activities we planned to try to support the child and the child continues to make good progress. To me this was a turning point.

I'm off to explore the materials mentioned as a visual aid for colleagues.

Thanks

The video clip posted above was the clip we saw on the development day - and now I am embarrassed because I hadn't made the connection :oxD:( !

Edited by Deb

• 5 years later...

What a great video - perfect for supporting practitioners who might not be confident supporting children's role play! The point I especially liked in the commentary was the way it made explicit the important difference between asking questions that make children think and those that test children to see if they can give the 'correct' answer that the practitioner already knows, in any case.

I just noticed the link for this video has been lost - here is a new one. Its still the best illustration I have seen on video.

https://youtu.be/7Lg7Oan5iN4

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)