Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Much Rent Do You Pay?

dear All

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss temporary premises for us for next year and they have just asked me how much rent i am expecting to pay!! :o i was tempted to say a big fat £0000000! but they might not go for that xD

would anyone be willing to tell me how much you pay. It would be sole use (with garden...very overgrown) we are in berkshire so an expensive area. They are expecting us to pay the bills.

Thanks in advance! :(

p.s. we are PVI sessional pre-school

I guess rents will vary from area to area but we are a preschool in essex and pay £60 a day rent.

Technically this is from 9-3:30 but no problem with staff going in to set up and staying late to pack away - sometimes we have been there till 5pm but they don't charge extra. We do not pay any bills on top and they provide all toilet rolls and paper towels.

£15 per hour not a good outside area but no other costs and place is always clean and very warm. they also supply us with paper towels. we are registered for 52 so is not to bad.

I pay £7 an hour (packaway), no bills to pay for heating or lighting. Poor outside area, sole use (but half the village seems to think they can come in whenever they like).

My landlord came to visit me yesterday, understandably concerned that they will be losing a major part of their income from September. Shame we aren't nearer to you (and that you don't want to have to pack away). They'll need to replace me and really a nursery or similar organisation is the only likely candidate for regular day time hirer.

Hope your negotiations go well!

great info so far ...thank you everyone..if there's anyone cheaper out there do post the lower i can get it the better xD Happymaz sorry i cant take the offer but if you cant make it pay i'm sure i can't :( but if you want to sell some stuff at any point i might be in the market...especially if i have to pay all this rent :(:(:o

Checked with current leader and is now..

£5.00 per hour.. includes heating and electricity..

does not include cleaner, phone

outside was negotiated so no rent for that but conditions applied.. we maintain, set up and care for, and if they want it back they can take it!

they do take into consideration that they are a charity which does help with the cost.. but having to pay for a cleaner adds to the cost considerably.

Happymaz sorry i cant take the offer but if you cant make it pay i'm sure i can't :o

I really only meant as a temporary measure! I will of course be selling all my stuff sooner or later! Will let you know!

This is really interesting - good to see how much our rent varies!

We pay £18 per morning and can be in later/earlier if no one else is in for no extra. We have sole use of the building when we are in and it includes all bills and cleaner - though that is laughable as we do more cleaning than her! We do have use of a garden but we have paid for its development in its entirety through grants, etc. We are lucky to be honest but it comes with guaranteed moaning from the building management over every little thing!

Very interesting reading, as we pay £68 per session for ours, sole use, 2 rooms and outside area. Includes heating, water and electricity but no other bills. We do our own cleaning at end of each session. Beginning to see why some settings can cope with the grant and others cant and have to be creative with additional hours and services above free provision. This is the smae for all our local competitors.

Edited by eyfs1966

Eeek, we pay £25 a month, utilities on top and obviously no towels thrown in! We are on the school site in a mobile with an nice outside area.

This is all about to change though and will be based on square footage, not got the figues on me.

We pay £18 per morning and can be in later/earlier if no one else is in for no extra. We have sole use of the building when we are in and it includes all bills and cleaner - though that is laughable as we do more cleaning than her! We do have use of a garden but we have paid for its development in its entirety through grants, etc. We are lucky to be honest but it comes with guaranteed moaning from the building management over every little thing!

I'm quoting Holly because we are exactly the same as her, down to the hopeless cleaner and the moaning management. However, we are very lucky in that we only pay £11 per session of 4 hours, it was £10 last year.

This is partly historic as preschool as been in the hall for over 40 years so we are part of the fabric of the local community.

Gosh, how do those of you on such high rents manage? That must be very tricky indeed.

The heating got switched down at Xmas, resulting in a burst pipe and 2 days closure!

It used to be too hot, we had to fight hard to get them to install proper radiator covers after Ofsted complained.

:o

We rent a Village Hall and we pay 40p per child per day, but only if they attend, we should have 24 children per day.

Why we only pay if they attend I don't know but I do think it's a good deal so don't question it :o we have been going for 47 years.

We don't pay for anything else and we have use of a maintained but very small garden.

We have sole use of the building however as Suzie & Holly have both said we too have their management committee who have too much time on their hands and just seem to moan about everything we do!

Our heating also got switched off at Xmas but unfortunately for our argument of keeping it on low and constant in cold weather the pipes didn't freeze. It takes nearly a week to bring the place up to temp after a shut off. We had the opposite issue with Ofsted as they complained it was too cold. Interestingly we've also been going for 40 odd years.

thank you all so much for this info ...may i ask another question?

Do you only pay for term time and how often are your rents reviewed (annually?), i'm also assuming you are not able to sublet for parties etc(sorry think this may be three questions not one! :o )

Our rent is reviewed annually although I have to say my landlord has been a godsend this last two years and hasn't put my rent up.

I pay termly, when I supply our term dates.

We can't sublet because we just rent the time we need.

term time only in advance termly..

reviewed annually...

as with most hired from a hall you do only hire the time you need so no to subletting .. the hall is hired out when we did not use it.. so used every evening and weekends by others.

It was rent increases that affected my sustainability, amongst other things, thus closing in 2007.

I'd suggest that you present your business plan to the landlords, showing them what your expected AFFORDABLE / SUSTAINABLE budget would be for rent.

Work your costings out at a realistic capacity level, considering the lean terms in Autumn and the busier terms in the summer.

Do two lots of costing- one with energy & cleaning bills included, one without.

I would suggest that having an all inclusive rent would be more manageable, with maybe the exception of the cleaner!!!!

Research what other local venues charge, BUT point out that your presence is not just a one off hire, but a consistent, ongoing source of revenue for the landlord, which should enable negotiation at BELOW the charge normally levied for a short one off use.

You could ask for a termly invoice (which would be different amounts each time), or maybe negotiate an annual rent divided by 12 - paid monthly, or divided by 4 - paid quarterly, this spreads the cost out, but you would have to 'save' your higher summer income to cover the leaner autumn rent payments when child numbers (thus income/cask flow) are usually lower.

Agree when it is to be reviewed and what criteria will be used for the revue (interest rates, fuel costs percentage increases, VAT etc) , try and have the review criteria include YOUR changing budget ( percentage increase of government funding for places) as well as the landlords. Make clear that you have to be sustainable as reasonable rents received are better than none at all if you have to leave. However, this only works if there are no other 'hirers' waiting to get your space/time.

Good luck with your negotiations.

Peggy

I just wanted to say another thank you to everyone who has replied...certainly makes for interesting reading and has helped me to concentrate my thoughts. the meeting went well and everything seems to be going ok so crossed fingers for september. peggy thank you so much for your info ...my committee chair is an accountant so i have passed the buck and told her to get on with this one...your advice was spot on and included things i had not thought of so i'm sending a big hug your way<<>> hope it gets to you :o

thanks buttercup...i still need more info so if anyone still wants to post please do.... i have to put our business case forward next week :o

Incidentally how helpful has the borough been?

I just wanted to say another thank you to everyone who has replied...certainly makes for interesting reading and has helped me to concentrate my thoughts. the meeting went well and everything seems to be going ok so crossed fingers for september. peggy thank you so much for your info ...my committee chair is an accountant so i have passed the buck and told her to get on with this one...your advice was spot on and included things i had not thought of so i'm sending a big hug your way<<>> hope it gets to you xD

Aw thanks, Hug received. :o

Peggy

we are in pack away village hall and pay £13 per session , term time only(we have the hall from 8am - 3pm for £26) this includes heating, water, cleaning ?, paper towels/handsoaps, about to move into our own modular building for 26 children per session on our school site (thanks to surestart funding) £1 per term, but obviously all our own utilities to pay so would be interesting to know what anyone in a similar type building for 26 pays for elec/water...