Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Considering Studying!

Guest Biker

Hi all,

Here i am again considering studying for my foundation degree!

I have considered it before but never been the right time,I feel now its this year or never!

Just wondering if you can give me your opinions on the course?

How much time do you need to devote to studying?

Do you feel it is enhancing your practice?

For those of you who have finished was it worth it and why?

Just a few questions eh!!!

Any replies gratefully received.

Biker

Having finished and graduated in 2009 and now on the top up and EYPS route I would say

Yes it was worth it

Yes it has enhanced both my practice and that of my staff

Yes at times it was hard going but with good time management it didn't become too much of a struggle ( just don't leave the assignments till three weeks before the deadline - start them ( even if its just reading/research) when you get given them

You need to allow about 8-10 hours a week for studying really , less if you are good at speed reading and drawing out useful stuff from books

My staff saw the benefits so much that I now have six of them at various stages of study - two on the BA Hons , one who has graduated from the FD and doing EYPS this year, and three others one in each year of FD. Suppose that speaks for itself really. :o

I got my final results yesterday and have amazingly passed my foundation degree. It is hard work but well well worth it - as long as you give yourself time to study you will be fine and as said in the other posts it has really helped my practice. I think the biggest change is my confidence. Go for it - you won't regret it and there is always plenty of help on this site. Good Luck

I would definately recommend that you do the Foundation Degree. I did my Foundation Degree, followed by the BA top up and am now awaiting results from my EYPS. I don't regret any of it. My practice has definately improved and I feel that the staff and children have benefited as a result. It is hard work to juggle work, family and study, but well worth it especially when you are stood there in your cap and gown! x

I don't think there is much I can add to what has been said previously to be honest!!

And I agree with it all!

I also got my results on Friday and now possess a foundation degree and start the top up/ EYPS on Feb 1st.

To know it is done is a great feeling!!!!!!

It has improved my knowledge, my practice and yes my confidence because I now believe my opinion counts!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think after the initial couple of assignments and the worry of getting a fail grade the assignments weren't too hard (took lots of time and work though) but I didn't feel our course was very well organised.

Feedback was often too late to help you improve the next piece of work or you just never got it full stop.

I handed in my research project in early August, and know I got a decent grade for it but have had no opportunity to get it or the feedback returned!

Go for it I would say!!!!!

And enjoy :o

Edited by Scarlettangel

I am coming to the end (April 2011) I would say do it for yourself!!!

Its quite and achievemnet I think when you consider we often still have a family and job etc.

I have only studied for me, (that sounds selfish) but Its my achievement I( don't HAVE to do it I WANT to do it.

Yes it has made me think deeper about my practice and I now research things with interest. My pay will not increase but my PSE development and well-being has :o

Good luck if you go for it.

Big Sue

Yes I would definitely say go for it too. It can be hard going whilst working, with a family too and you will probably see many late nights and early mornings and it wont be for partying! Whatever reason you are thinking of doing it for you can only gain - knowledge - confidence. I was like you and kept thinking shall I, shant I, and applied on a shall I day and am now due to finish my second year this May.

Good Luck

:o

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got my results today and feel on top of the world, it is a struggle and I have had many a time in tears with the stress of managing a setting which had gone through a change of ownership and captital build, mum of two, disabled husband.

Once you get into the swing of things it will beocme easier and its great when you get an assigment that you really enjoy and can get your teeth into it its great.

I have learnt so much and gained so much more confidence in what I do , it makes yhou realise how much you actually know already.

I would say go for it, if I can do it then you can xx good luckwith your decision

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement!I have taken a deep breath and applied!Well got as far as sending the form in,now awaiting an interview date!!

Will keep you updated.

Biker.

I would definately recommend that you do the Foundation Degree. I did my Foundation Degree, followed by the BA top up and am now awaiting results from my EYPS. I don't regret any of it. My practice has definately improved and I feel that the staff and children have benefited as a result. It is hard work to juggle work, family and study, but well worth it especially when you are stood there in your cap and gown! x

I second that Paula :o

Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update!

Interview date is through and imminent!Actually although i know i will be nervous on the day quite looking forward to the challenge.Have been given two topics for tasks during interview and am enjoying researching and reflecting on them!

Have to stay still not entirely sure i am up to it but hopefully after the interview all will become clear!

Biker

Biker I think even the most confident among us wondered if we were up to it when contemplating doing the Foundation Degree! In fact hali and I met at our FDED interview - gosh that seems such a long time ago! We were both very nervous, as I recall! I'm sure you'll be fine - good luck with the interview and let us know how it goes, won't you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)