Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Science Experiments/ Investigations

Hi all, am just wondering whether all you clever people have any really good ideas for science investigation/ experiments that are fun and safe for 2 and 3 year olds. Am sure have seen a 'volcano' made with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar which would like to try next week and it's has got me thinking am sure there must be other simple kitchen cupboard science activities. ( Reason I am thinking along these lines is becauseI have been planning for a child who was really into rockets and thought the volcano might be an additional thing of interest as it has a propulsion/gases feel .... plus it's explosive and messy which is always a good thing! :o Any ideas gratefully received! x

Hi all, am just wondering whether all you clever people have any really good ideas for science investigation/ experiments that are fun and safe for 2 and 3 year olds. Am sure have seen a 'volcano' made with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar which would like to try next week and it's has got me thinking am sure there must be other simple kitchen cupboard science activities. ( Reason I am thinking along these lines is becauseI have been planning for a child who was really into rockets and thought the volcano might be an additional thing of interest as it has a propulsion/gases feel .... plus it's explosive and messy which is always a good thing! :o Any ideas gratefully received! x

Bottles of good lemonade (really fizzy) drop in a few raisins and watch what happens! The bubbles in the lemonade attach themselves to the raisins and gradually the raisin lifts and rises to the top whereupon the bubbles burst and send the raisins back down again, only for it all to happen all over again.

balloon rockets - blow up a balloon insead of tieing the end fasten it with a peg/clip so doean't deflate, attach a straw to the top with tap, thread a piece of string through the straw, attatch the lengh of string between 2 chairs, take the peg off the balloon and wath it fly along the string.

When doing the volcaneo you can also use to make bubbling potions, just add glitter, washing up liquid clear vindear and bicarb of soda and watch the potion bubble over the side of the conatiner.

also drop a packet of mints all at once into a bottle of coke and it will shoot into the air

put a crisp packet in the microwave and watch it shrink!

trying to think of things that we did in our science week but mind a bit dead at the moment, will write more when remeber!

Emma

• Like 1

Give them all a chocolate button each to hold in their hand whilst you read Michael Rosen's poem, 'Chocolate'

Look at me, look at me

I've got chocolate

It's the end of the party

they've given me chocolate

Look at me, look at me

I've got chocolate

I must keep my chocolate

where no one can get it

where shall I put it?

in my bag? in my pocket?

No. In my hand. I'll keep it

Look at me, look at me

I've got chocolate

and I'm going home to eat it

And we walk down the street

it's a sunny day and hot

for me and my chocolate

and I've got it I've got it

my fingers are round it

tightly closed around it

Look at me, look at me

I've got chocolate

And we get to my house

and I rush in and shout

Look at me, look at me

I've got chocolate

Let's see Let's see

your lovely chocolate...

and I open up my hands

to show them the

chocolate...

...and oh no!

What do you know!

That lovely big bit

of beautiful chocolate

has gone all soggy

mucky and sticky

like a handful of mud

is all I've got

is a big sticky mess

oh no oh yes!

Look at you Look at you

what are you going to do?

And I stop and I think

and I think and I stop

What's in my hand?

What have I really got?

Is it still chocolate?

Is this mess chocolate or not?

I know what

I'll just try a little taste

I take my tongue to my finger

and my finger to my tongue

and YUM!

Look at me Look at me

lick lick lick

chocolate lick

lick it lick it

lick it lick it

sticky sticky chocolate

lick it lick it

'till there's nothing left

not one little bit

I've eaten my chocolate

Look at me

• Like 1

Also put milk on a plate and then some drops of food colouring then put some drops of washing up liquid and watch the patterns it makes

Dissolve some salt in water and then leave until the water has evaporated away and see what is left

What about making discovery bottles.

Thanks Jo x

Also some good ideas here

http://kitchenpantryscientist.com/

and there are also video clips showing her carrying out some of the experiments. She makes cornflour gloop and explains how it behaves how it does because depending how you handle it, the molecules are either long and stretch past each other or - when you roll it - become tangled. Now I knew what gloop did but not why! I have learnt something today! :o

• 3 years later...

Alka seltzer rockets. You'll need a camera film canister (I know who uses film anymore?!), water and alka seltzer. Put water and half a alka seltzer in the canister and very quickly put the lid on and turn it over. Move back and wait as the pressure builds up and up it flies!

Alka seltzer rockets. You'll need a camera film canister (I know who uses film anymore?!), water and alka seltzer. Put water and half a alka seltzer in the canister and very quickly put the lid on and turn it over. Move back and wait as the pressure builds up and up it flies!

you can also do this using paint in the cannister and launch from a large piece of paper to create explosive art!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)