Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow Day Pay

Does your setting pay staff for snow days?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pay staff if setting closed due to snow?

• Yes, full pay
    • Yes, if they attemp to get into work
    • Half pay
    • No
    • Taken as annual leave

Full pay but with the proviso that we still get EY funding for short term closure.

If not we cannot afford to pay.

I am mean and ask them to do work stuff at home though!

This is what we do;

If staff say they can't get in or want to go home early then they lose pay as it is their choice; if it is a Management decision not to open or close early then we have to pay them. The funding is not an issue if we deem it unsafe to open then we have to pay staff. It is not always possible for staff to do any work at home because if it is an unpredicted closure they are unlikely to have taken LJ's etc. home with them to work on.

...and by the looks of the amount coming down from the heavens just now might mean we end up losing some more money next week! I HATE THIS WEATHER, GO AWAY SNOW AND ICE!!

BMG

Guest jenpercy

i have voted annual leave - but I give staff the option of annual leave or time off and it splits fairly evenly. Myself and supervisor take annual leave as we find it difficult to get any if not!!!!

Hi first time in my 19 years at the pre-school that we have had to close for a whole week, and i have to say it was awful to do so.

Yes we paid our staff as it really wasn't there fault, and they work so jolly hard throughout the year..

Obviously we would not be able to sustain that for any longer period of time, and we are in the process of discussing a procedure in the future for work at home etc.

I'm sure schools don't give back funding so why should any other provision in education.

Unless someone on here knows different. :o

Not really relevant to pre-schools but just to answer Bridgers point about schools - if school is closed due to a management descision we are paid. However if school is open but I can't get there (can't get out of my village for example) I have to go to my nearest school in the Authority for the day if I want to be paid, otherwise it could be unpaid or paid leave of absence depending on a Governors' decision.

I know the decision to close is never taken lightly, and I'm so relieved that we have finished for the term now - luckily before the snow came here. Here's hoping for a snow-free January!

Hi

I voted that we get paid if closed, but as we can all walk to work, I don't close.

Staff all think they can sit at home on full pay though. Money must grow on trees.

Our local schools closed for 2 days and we stayed open. No kids on the first day but about 7 on the second.

I spent the first day tidying my office.

As most of our children are not funded, and parents get 75% refund on days that we are closed then staff do not get paid even if they can get to work. We are charity and they say that they cannot afford to pay us. But we all have our bills to pay and although the odd day is fun much longer and it starts to affect us hard. I have a friend whose husband is a big wig in unison and he says that they cant not pay staff if staff are willing to work and turn up as its the employers choice to close not staff. Different of course if staff cant turn up. Not sure how a chairty would fund this though?

Guest jenpercy

If you have your staff contract written to say that you can vary their hours - which would only be sensible because of non-pupil days, days when you are a polling booth , or numbers of children going down - then of course you can not pay them. I have re-written all our contracts to take this into account. Numbers were very low this September and we would have lost a fortune - instead of just a large amount of money if we had not done this.

I have also ensured that the contract states 28 days including any bank holidays. As I am not a charity, anyrthin I pay staff when we are not making money somes from my take home pay which is alreasy less than my Supervisor.

• 4 weeks later...
if you go on direct gov you will see that if its your boss closes the nursery they have to pay you, they cannot make you take it as holiday

That's why I always make it in on snow days! :o

Welcome to the Forum, kylet and congratulations on making your first post.

If you pay your staff when the snow prevents them from getting to work, what do you think of the idea of e-mailing staff some kind of 'training' information for them to read, reflect and comment on - I'm sure for many settings there is lots of valuable reading that staff just don't get the time to do ? Or is this a daft idea and I should just go back to bed :o

Edited by Guest

03:55[/b]' post='281122']

If you pay your staff when the snow prevents them from getting to work, what do you think of the idea of e-mailing staff some kind of 'training' information for them to read, reflect and comment on - I'm sure for many settings there is lots of valuable reading that staff just don't get the time to do ? Or is this a daft idea and I should just go back to bed :o

You should deffinately have gone back to bed!!!

I think this is a great idea, although I have at least one member of the team who doesn't have internet access. I will be doing this in the future though for sure.

Guest rainyjaney

I am not sure that staff should be working on learning journeys at home. Our's do not leave the premises until they go home with the child. Besides, if it snows, wouldn't learning journey be at setting?

I am not sure that staff should be working on learning journeys at home. Our's do not leave the premises until they go home with the child. Besides, if it snows, wouldn't learning journey be at setting?

Your right, missed that one. The potential risks involved regarding data protection and safeguarding are huge! Learning Journeys aren't alowed out of setting unless with the parents, even then they are signed in and out.

But research or other areas of work related to their additional roles would be a reasonable request in my opinion.

p.s. I did mean you should go back to bed Sam because you were uo at 3.55am by the way!!!

Edited by Guest