Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Festive Fun?

DavidW

Scenario number 1

'Hello Mrs J,' said the nursery manager in her most cheerful phone voice,' I'm just phoning to warn you that due to the ice and snow, we may have to close early this afternoon to enable everyone to get home safely.'

'That's not acceptable!'

'Sorry, I'm not really with you?'

'You are closing early and you haven't given me a week's notice!'

Scenario number 2

Ring, ring.

Me: 'Hello?'

Manager: 'Hi David, I'm just phoning to ask your advice, you know you told me to keep an eye on the weather and number of children and that you were leaving it up to us managers to decide what time to close today? well I have just had a spokesperson on behalf of the staff, come to the office to inform me that none of them will be working past 3 today as they feel they would be endangering themselves by leaving any later. They will be walking out at 3. What should I do?'

Scenario number 3

Ring ring.

Me: 'Hello?'

'Is that David?'

'Yes'

(Very, very cross voice): 'It's O's mum here. I want to complain about Christmas at the nursery. My son is perfectly capable of taking a lead role in a nativity play and you are denying him his entitlement by dumbing down the curriculum through replacing a nativity play with a carol concert. He's only going to be 3 once you know. What have you got to say for yourself?'

Good grief!!! You couldn't make it up could you?

Roll on the New Year

It happens to us all.

I have arranged 2 christmas parties including a puppet show , party games, a visit from santa and a present for each child. They just need to bring a item of food. Anyone not normally in on the party day parents needs to stay so that we don't go over our registered number.

Well that's all wrong, because they want to bring their younger children with them, conversations / emails later. I don't know why I bother. Its bad enough trying to organise 30 kids without having toddlers running round.

Happy christmas to the lot of them.

It happens to us all.

I have arranged 2 christmas parties including a puppet show , party games, a visit from santa and a present for each child. They just need to bring a item of food. Anyone not normally in on the party day parents needs to stay so that we don't go over our registered number.

Well that's all wrong, because they want to bring their younger children with them, conversations / emails later. I don't know why I bother. Its bad enough trying to organise 30 kids without having toddlers running round.

Happy christmas to the lot of them.

Not sure the registered number thing applies if its for a party and a one off, I know our insurance are ok with it. We do have extra help from committee or a few willing parents who might be haivng tehir last christmas before school with us. Avoids toddlers and babys too that way.

Ofsted ask that we inform them of our having a party and that we explain that we will be above our numbers and that we have notified our insurance company. They won't respond usually, but if they do a spot check, you will be covered (keep a copy on the premises).

I let them know last year and they arrived during the party (never felt so organised)! It did mean that most of my time was spent answering questions and the staff ran the party - felt like I missed out :o

Spiral.

Maybe I'm being cynical here but you are not really persuading me of the advantages of informing Ofsted that you are having a party! They probably don't have much on in the week before Christmas so advising them you are going to be out of ratio might just be an invitation to be seen to be doing something useful. Did they bring biscuits?

I'm erring on the side of asking parents to look after their own children, not being out of ratio and not inviting Ofsted to the party - I probably see enough of them at other times of the year!