Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spot The Quiz!

Beau

Sorry Maz, forgot to reply to you. How embarrassing! I got 16 pm's on Friday so £8 but I might throw a bit extra. :o

Anyone else wanting to have a go at any of the questions and stand a chance of winning a prize still has until midnight to get their answers in. xD

Sorry Maz, forgot to reply to you. How embarrassing!

Not as embarrassing as disappearing for the whole of Children in Need night! xD Haven't even donated yet - and because we go into the woods on Friday we're having our Children in Need thing at nursery next week so I'll add a bit extra onto that!

Well done Beau - you're a CIN-Star! :o

Just to let you all know that I haven't forgotten about giving out the answers. However, one member sent me a query yesterday evening which I didn't read until I got back online this morning. So I'm giving them until tonight to get any more answers in. So if theres anyone else who missed out and would like to have a go I'll still accept answers until midnight tonight and promise faithfully to give out the answers tomorrow. :o

Thanks to all of you that had a go at answering at least one question in our quiz and helping to raise money for Children in Need. xD As promised I will now give you the answers.

1. “Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.” From which film are these the opening lines?

Trainspotting

2. Which fictional character has a pet cat named Spot?

Lieutenant Commander Data (I did accept Hong Kong Phooey since there was also a cat named Spot in it!)

3. The acronym SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly) was given to the August 1977 UK tour by the band the Sex Pistols. Can you name three band members?

Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten (John Lydon), Steve Jones, Glen Matlock, Paul Cook

4. Eric Hill wrote a series of Spot the Dog books. What are the names of Spots three friends - the hippo, the monkey and the crocodile?

Helen, Steve and Tom

5. Diplocarpon rosae is a fungus that causes which plant disease?

Black Spot

6. Which forum member was asking for Tuff Spot Ideas earlier this month?

Browneyedgirl

7. In the 1980’s Cool Spot was a mascot for which well known lemon & lime fizzy drink?

7 Up

8. Pongo and Perdita had 15 Dalmatian puppies in the original film. Not all of them were given names however can you name any two of the ones that were?

Patch, Rolly, Lucky, Penny, Freckles, and Pepper

9. What bird is this?

Great Spotted Woodpecker

10. Who had a pet Dragon named Spot who lived under the stairs?

Eddie Munster

11. “Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.” Where is this from? (Extra point for being exact!)

Bible, Jeremiah 13:23

12. What link did Inge share with us in Februay 2007?

The Spotty Book: Notes on Infectious Disease in Schools (Inge shares lots of links with us but this was the one that matched our 'spotty' theme. :o

13. Which Native American horse breed is spotted?

The Leopard Appaloosa

14. Spot The Difference is the first studio album for 12 years made by which British New Wave group?

Squeeze

15. A Spot of Bother was Mark Haddons second novel. What was the name of his first award winning novel?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

16. Rubeola is more commonly know as what?

Measles

17. We have 2 members whose names begin with Spot - what usernames are they?

spotter and spotty66

18. What is the name of the first dermatological brand created to help young skin fight against acne?

Clearasil

19. Spotlight is the name of the BBC's regional news programme for two areas. Name one.

Southwest (Cornwall, Devon, West Dorset, and Somerset) Northern Ireland

20. Wills & Hepworth starting publishing books in 1940 under what company name?

Ladybird Books

21. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet starred in which 2004 film?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

22. Photo 2 - What type of spotted fish is this?

Green Spotted Pufferfish

23. The process of joining metal surfaces together by heat obtained from resistance to electric current flow is called what?

Spot welding

24. What was invented by Robert Louis Stevenson in his novel Treasure Island and later presented to Captain Flint in Swallows and Amazons and Captain Jack Sparrow in Disneys Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest?

Black Spot

25. What was the name of the quiz and panel game, presented by Pete McCarthy and later David Stafford, that was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 between 1998 and 2006?

X Marks the Spot

26. Littlewoods launched a new type of weekly competition in 1973, in addition to their Football Pools. What was it called?

Spot the Ball

27. Which type of ladybird is threatening our native population?

Harlequin or Harmonia axyridis

28. One of our forum members ‘spotted a massive omission’ in 2007. Who was it and what did they spot?

LJW, Mothers Day on the calendar

29. Which fictional character famously says “Out, damn'd spot! out, I say!” and for a bonus point where exactly would you find it written?

Lady Macbeth, Macbeth Act 5, scene 1, 26–40

30. Spot Fletcher was the name of which US presidents dog and what breed was she?

George W. Bush, English Springer Spaniel

Ooh, thanks Sue! xD

And now to announce the winners!

Firstly, we had 17 entries which was pretty good going since it was only available for the weekend. Many thanks to those who took the time to pm me - I shall be making my donation to Children in Need today. Anyone else who is still wanting to make a donation the link to do so is here :(

We had 2 fully correct entries but only one of those could win our £20 cheque and this goes to She. Commiserations to Inge but for her incredible effort she will also be receiving a notepad to go along with the pen she won elsewhere. :(

5 other members managed to get over 24/32, many congrats go to them! I put the names in a hat and janeb is the winner of a mug (since I think she already has a notepad). :(

I also put the other 10 entries in a hat, and the winner of a notepad and pen is whitetree.

And as if that isn't enough BrendaS gets a pen for pointing out the missing question and Devsy gets a pen for being the first person to pm me an answer.

Once again thank you to everyone who participated. Bad luck if you didn't win a prize but hopefully you'll win something another time. :o

2. Which fictional character has a pet cat named Spot?

Lieutenant Commander Data (I did accept Hong Kong Phooey since there was also a cat named Spot in it!)

Glad you accepted Hong Kong Phooey as I have never heard of the correct answer!!! Who is he?!

5 other members managed to get over 24/32, many congrats go to them! I put the names in a hat and janeb is the winner of a mug (since I think she already has a notepad). :o

Thank you very much - it will be used proudly.

Aww well, I learnt a lot about spots! Will the monthly competitions start up again?

Hopefully! Things got a little hectic around here in the last few months but I'm hoping to have a little more time again now. :o