Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whatever Next

In our Authority we don't have CCs that provide care so it won't affect us at all.

Perhaps someone important has been reading our many threads about how CCs have struggled to fill their spaces and the criticism that they are empty most of the time? :o I'm not up to speed on this announcement, but I'd be interested to hear from CC managers who can talk about how the families that use their services would be impacted if their CC chose to close their day care service.

I'm sure that for those families who derive most benefit from their children attending their local SureStart will be very worried about the future. Challenging times for us all, I think.

Just read that CC do not need provide full day care in deprived areas and do not need a QTS/EYP.

Comments anyone?

Where did you read this? I'd be interested in finding out more details.

I would hate to think our CC would be affected. It seems experience of these Centres is very different in different parts of the country and it does sound as if in some areas money is being wasted. Ours provides care from 12 weeks old so we provide day care for babies and toddlers. We have a maintained pre-school catering for about 104 children, plus extended schools, which isn't just wrap around up to 11, but provides family learning for our cluster primaries and pre-school children. There are four QTS in the Centre, one of whom is the Head of Centre and another the Deputy, who leads the curriculum throughout the Centre. We have activities at weekends as well. We have midwives, baby clinic, mums and tots, childminder drop in's, Relate, baby massage, exercise for new mums, baby gym, healthy eating/cooking, mum and baby sessions, stay and play, story time, time to talk, music sessions, and signpost to other services, plus outreach to hard-to-reach families, which is an area we are trying to develop as it isn't easy to involve these families. I read that CC's are going to be judged by outcomes and how successful they are in meeting the needs of the most disadvantaged families, which is what they were set up to do.

The only thing I've read about this recently is

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov...ge-for-services

I would hate to think our CC would be affected. It seems experience of these Centres is very different in different parts of the country and it does sound as if in some areas money is being wasted. Ours provides care from 12 weeks old so we provide day care for babies and toddlers. We have a maintained pre-school catering for about 104 children, plus extended schools, which isn't just wrap around up to 11, but provides family learning for our cluster primaries and pre-school children. There are four QTS in the Centre, one of whom is the Head of Centre and another the Deputy, who leads the curriculum throughout the Centre. We have activities at weekends as well. We have midwives, baby clinic, mums and tots, childminder drop in's, Relate, baby massage, exercise for new mums, baby gym, healthy eating/cooking, mum and baby sessions, stay and play, story time, time to talk, music sessions, and signpost to other services, plus outreach to hard-to-reach families, which is an area we are trying to develop as it isn't easy to involve these families. I read that CC's are going to be judged by outcomes and how successful they are in meeting the needs of the most disadvantaged families, which is what they were set up to do.

The only thing I've read about this recently is

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov...ge-for-services

Oh boy - looks like I may be looking for work elsewhere then! As a Children's Centre teacher with about 40 other colleagues in the same role - all of whom work extremely hard to provide quality teaching and learning experiences for children attending our centres and daycare settings in our reach areas I have to say I am very anxiuos about my job as I know they all will be too!

I appreciate that some of you out there don't see the point of children's centres when you see them being under utilised but as the country is under going more changes that impact on children from the most disadvantaged families I know that the demand for the work being done to support these families will increase. Some centres cannot cope with their current workload which is increased as other areas such as health visitors and Social services are stretched to breaking. As the cuts continue this will only get worse.

Sorry to be an eternal pessimist, but to me this just indicates as many of us suspected that EYPS is going to become an obsolete qualification. Whish someone had tipped me off before I did the darn thing. When oh when will someone have a clear vision for the sector that is adhered to in the longer term. All this "reinventing of the wheel" just does my head in. The £££££££'s of waste, the waste of time, the lack of clear focus is a disgrace.

Sorry, rant over!!

The letter from Michael Gove didn't suggest that the work of the CWDC would end, but that it would be carried out by his own department. I think we need to hold our nerve and see what happens next.

For me, the whole process of undertaking the EYP training and the processes of gaining the Status have been invaluable in terms of my own professional development. If it is abolished I'll still be glad I did it and in the meantime as the poster says, stay calm and carry on.

Oh dear. I think we shall just have to wait and see what happens.

Several things about that daybreak item made me see red - not least that ridiculous journalist talking to camera whilst the poor practitioner was trying to read a story!

If the Children's Centres mentioned in the film close down, I wonder where the children will go instead? It was interesting that the camera shots seemed to be very tight on individual children and their mums. To make the point about how many children would be affected I'd have liked to have seen snippets of busy rooms full of children engaging in lots of lovely play.

I did like the chap playing at the sand tray though - wonder if he was a practitioner or a dad?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)