Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wow Wall

blondie

We've had one for a couple of years. Children have WOW slips in their trays and staff and parents complete them and put them up on the wall. They are taken down when a new one goes up, and filed in the child's special file.

What would you like to know?

wow.doc

Edited by Cait

I 'pinched' this idea from Cait some time ago - it works really well and has been admired by our local EY team - fingers crossed Ofsted will like it too! :o

Parents complete wow slips, we do too, we read out any new wows at circle-time - a big clap is given and then they are added to our wow board - this is actually on the door - to enable parents and visitors to read......(sorry to explain - an internal door, but the door to our room)

Go for it! xD

Pinched idea from on here too following first IDP review and it has worked really well for us, really boosted the relationships between home and setting particularly with Key Persons as KP give out wow moments for parents to fill in and then KP puts up moment on display with child and parent/carer

children love seeing their achievements for all to see, they recognise which is theirs, contribute to creating the themed displays- the last was at the gingerbreadman's house and all staff did was put backing paper up!

ours are added to Learning Journey to show parental contribution-great for parents and children's self-esteem and partnership

its not hard to set up and easy enough to get everyone involved. I give out a little note each term when we change the theme for current parents and new parents get a longer letter to fill in why we do it

I read about Wow! displays before on here with the intention of doing one as part of my EYP; but when I approached my colleagues they didn't seem too enthusiastic about the idea.

What age groups have you done your Wow! boards with please?

mine are 2 - 4+ year olds. I think it's perhaps something you have to see in action to get some colleagues on board. I know that when we first did it, a couple of my staff were sceptical about it, but now they're totally 'on board'

Yes, maybe you're right about having to see it. I current work with 20-30month old children. Our room has a lack of parent involvement, and feedback from colleagues is parents are not interested, but I feel they may just need the right kind of involvement to develop the interest in their child at nursery.

Does anyone have any pictures of their Wow! boards? Or alternatively, would welcome a visit if in the North Herts/Cambridge area???? I would love to get this working.

• 1 month later...
We've had one for a couple of years. Children have WOW slips in their trays and staff and parents complete them and put them up on the wall. They are taken down when a new one goes up, and filed in the child's special file.

What would you like to know?

Hi Cait

I too pinched your idea. I used your Wow voucher. I also adapted your letter to parents explaining what they were. I would like to use both of these as evidence for EYCLO's for my current OU module and my tutor says that I need to gain permission to use them.

Can I ask your permission to use them as evidence please?

Hi Cait

I too pinched your idea. I used your Wow voucher. I also adapted your letter to parents explaining what they were. I would like to use both of these as evidence for EYCLO's for my current OU module and my tutor says that I need to gain permission to use them.

Can I ask your permission to use them as evidence please?

Yes, no problem at all

Hi,

Sorry I've not been on here in a while with the whole xmas/new year thing;

Cait have i missed any photos from you of your Wow! wall? I have been working on other bits but still like this idea :-)

I wouldn't mind seeing it Cait, sorry, I know how busy you are!

I am about to launch this one, my only problem being that the best place would be on the display board in the lobby. Thus raising the safeguarding issue of pictures being present! Do you encourage pics or just the wow cards?

We're quite small and already the displays in the main room are 50% being used for things other than the children's work, i.e. register board, planning board etc. am reluctant to use another on more 'adult based' things!

Sorry, no I didn't take any pictures, everyone seemed to be happy with the slips and letter. I can take one if you still need to see it

If you wouldn't mind and are able to take a photo of it I would love to see it. It'd help my understanding & explaining; but noi worries if not.

If you wouldn't mind and are able to take a photo of it I would love to see it. It'd help my understanding & explaining; but noi worries if not.

Cait has done it - two posts up from yours!

Brilliant Cait, love it love it love it and about to steal if that is OK with you xD

(edited to remove a query about how to change PDF to word - managed it all by myself :o perhaps I can put a wow! on my office wall :( )

Edited by Geraldine