Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Operation Shoebox

Rea

I know some people do a shoe box for the troops at this time of year. This is my first year of remembering before the final date. Is a small bottle of wine allowed? I've looked on the web site at all the suggested things to include and what not to but wine isnt mentioned. Its only a small bottle and I was going to wrap it well in bubble wrap. Does anyone know?

Hi Rea,

we did one last year for troops in Afghanistan and I'm 99% certain there was a "no alcohol, no glass" restriction.... we sent rum truffle cakes instead!!

Seem to remember that boxes had to be in by mid November, I'll go and look for the info.

Nona

The children's ones are called 'operation Christmas Child' and is run by Samaritan's Purse. This year they are sending shoeboxes to Haiti. I need to get mine sorted as it needs to be dropped off by November 18th. Also need to find a local collection point to me.

I know they ask for these boxes, but I am always wary about anything this time of year and would rather donate than think about sending to troops.

My reason? they get inundated with these items at this time of year and the soldiers own families try to send a box to a loved one which does not always get there in time .. too much all sent at the same time causes distribution and issues with getting the items out..

not sure if I explained it well but I do think it is a time for families to get their items sent as a priority and I know it doers not always happen with so much going out at the same time..

Inge

The interesting things that we've been asked for are cheap boxer shorts, and small, soft paintbrushes. Apparently soldiers go out for weeks at a time and don't have the opportunity to change their undies so use cheap boxers as disposables. And the paint brushes are to remove sand from their gear.

Odd what can be considered luxuries.

Honey

I know they ask for these boxes, but I am always wary about anything this time of year and would rather donate than think about sending to troops.

My reason? they get inundated with these items at this time of year and the soldiers own families try to send a box to a loved one which does not always get there in time .. too much all sent at the same time causes distribution and issues with getting the items out..

not sure if I explained it well but I do think it is a time for families to get their items sent as a priority and I know it doers not always happen with so much going out at the same time..

Inge

Separate distribution systems are used for parcels from family and friends and Operation Shoebox asks for a £1 donation to cover the costs of a container load. There's more information confirming this on the MOD website http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDef...rvicePersonnel/

In the West Midlands Acres Estate Agents are co-ordinating the scheme...

£1 TO AFGHANISTAN BY SHOEBOX

ACRES are proud to have been asked by Operation Shoebox to collect shoeboxes again for the 2010 Christmas push.

Many of you will remember the spectacular success of last year where the generosity of people in our area resulted in a massive 6093* shoeboxes being collected, sent to Afghanistan and distributed to our troops.

There are some positive changes this year as advised by Ian Whiteway, founder of Operation Shoebox. Ian said "This year we have obtained official MOD recognition and we are featured on the MOD website. We have also purchased a container which will be housed in the Bicester MOD camp and we should be able to collect weekly from the ACRES group of offices."

ACRES Partner Mike Weaver said "The campaign will commence on Friday 8th October and the final cut off for delivery of shoeboxes to any of the ACRES offices will be Saturday 20th November at 1pm. We hope that everyone will rally round as before so that we can send a massive message of support to our troops. They continue to do an inspiring job with courage, professionalism and amazing bravery. Please give them your support."

The final difference this year is that ACRES have decided to try to help fund the transportation costs of the container to Afghanistan. Every shoebox delivered to ACRES offices should be accompanied by a £1 coin. ACRES Partner Mike Weaver said "If we can collect at least 5,000 boxes and 5,000 £1 coins then the transport costs to Afghanistan will be covered. This will be a real benefit to Operation Shoebox and set it on the path to full charitable status, with all the benefits that will provide. Please bring your box and a £1!"

*Final figure advised by Operation Shoebox

The boxes are REALLY appreciated by those who receive them.

Nona

Cant answer you question but when is the date and what is the website?

Aren't there children's ones too--how do I find out about those?

There are quite a few groups who do boxes for children if you do a Google search. I think it is worth checking these out before you choose one, to be sure you are happy with the motives behind the giving. I feel that there should be no discrimination in who receives these.

There are quite a few groups who do boxes for children if you do a Google search. I think it is worth checking these out before you choose one, to be sure you are happy with the motives behind the giving. I feel that there should be no discrimination in who receives these.

Yes I'll second that. After doing a little research myself it has really made me think twice about which groups/schemes to donate to.

Yes I'll second that. After doing a little research myself it has really made me think twice about which groups/schemes to donate to.

I'll third it. If you google operation christmas child you will understand why I have refused to participate in this scheme when my children's school run it each year. Anything with the word 'evangelical' in it means they are trying to convert the children and may include religious materials as a pre condition of receiving the boxes. I'm not anti religion but I do think we need to respect other people's beliefs even if they are not like our own.

Sorry don't want to be a party pooper, I'm sure the soldiers would love some wine!

I'm not sure I do, Suzie. I can't see anything on the "Operation Christmas Child" to feel concerned about. I don't have any particular axe to grind, but they have addressed in their Q&A section some of your worries:

"Is it true that shoeboxes cannot include any religious items?

You will note that religious items are not on our suggested list of gifts to put into a shoebox, as we want to be sensitive to the indigenous culture where shoeboxes are distributed and we also want to place an emphasis on education and fun. However, we would welcome appropriate items such as Christmas cards or Christmas colouring books.

I’ve heard that you put Christian literature into the shoeboxes before they are shipped. Is that true?

No. We do not put Christian literature into shoeboxes.

Is Christian literature sometimes distributed with the shoebox?

Yes. Whenever we are asked to provide Christian literature, we are always pleased to do so, free of charge. This usually takes the form of a booklet, The Greatest Gift of All, containing Bible stories and an explanation of the true meaning of Christmas. While local churches and Christian partners distributing the shoeboxes may offer a free copy of this booklet with shoeboxes, no child is obliged to take it. The booklet is given to a child with their shoebox, not inside it."

There is certainly no reason to think that receiving religious materials is a pre-condition of receiving the gift boxes.

My daughters school collects for 'Love in a Box' and my girls enjoy filling the boxes each year to send out. We always fill for the matching age range to their own as I think this really brings the message home to them. :o

I'm not sure I do, Suzie. I can't see anything on the "Operation Christmas Child" to feel concerned about.

I was obviously being a bit cryptic!

See here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/nov/10/religion.society

and here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/dec...ietysupplement7

and here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2003/nov...rysector.usnews

The OCC website addresses these concerns because they have been caught in the past doing the opposite. They have also been criticised by the Charities Commission.

I'm completely non religious so don't have any axe to grind either, I just find it fundamentally wrong that children are asked to participate in an evangelical activity, unless they go to a faith school in which case it might I suppose be relevant.

Sorry, rant over!

Those links are from 2003 and I think, but don't know for sure, that some of the issues have been addressed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/n...aints-christmas

It seems to me that people have a choice, and if they wish to donate to someone or something worthwhile somewhere, then that can only be a good thing. Whilst I am of course slightly biased, I see no problem with bringing the meaning of Christmas into something called Christmas giving. I think to many the idea behind doing these kind of things with children is to try to counter the getting aspect for children to actually giving to someone else.

Those links are from 2003 and I think, but don't know for sure, that some of the issues have been addressed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/n...aints-christmas

It seems to me that people have a choice, and if they wish to donate to someone or something worthwhile somewhere, then that can only be a good thing. Whilst I am of course slightly biased, I see no problem with bringing the meaning of Christmas into something called Christmas giving. I think to many the idea behind doing these kind of things with children is to try to counter the getting aspect for children to actually giving to someone else.

What I objected to with my children's school was a letter stating 'it would be nice if every family made the effort to give a shoebox this year'. They had assumed I 'hadn't bothered' rather than that I might have some moral objection to it.

Of course, people are entirely free to give what they wish, although I always feel that making a donation to a charity like save the children might be a better approach (but that is my opinion). To my mind there's something a bit contrived about the whole shoe box thing that makes me think it is more about making us feel we are 'doing our bit' rather than trusting that aid agencies know who really needs help.