Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hibernation

Hi evryone I am teaching nursery at the moment and previously I have done a story on hibernation. The thing is I just cannot remember the title! It was a story about a Rabbit and a squirrel. They are both friends, but then squireel had to go into hibernation. The it shows at the end when its spring the squireel wakes up.

Does anyone have an idea of what this book is called????????

Hi, we did a hibernation activity today, It was so lovely I thought I would share it with you. I said that I had seen a ssquirrel scampering over the fence and asked her if she would come and talk to us about hibernation. I then got out a puppet squirrel, who was very shy. The children all asked her questions (aged 2 - 4) we then named her. Next we went out and found some leaves and put them in an old shoe box. One little girl wrote the squirrel a letter. We then all took turns to say goodbye to her and that we would see her in the spring.

Lots of the children could then later reacall the word hibernation and its meaning and the lovely story about Lola the squirrel!!

I've just been looking on the internet regarding hibernation - I'm afraid to say that the information I found says that squirrels do not actually hibernate, they just stay in their nests to conserve heat ?!

Apparently, the only uk mammels that hibernate are Hedgehogs, dormice and bats. I'm sure there are many books about sleepy dormice.

A good site for seasonal activities for children is the Woodland Trust 'Nature Detectives'.

Edited by Guest

I was about to say the same re squirrels as they do not hibernate. They hide nuts and other foodstuffs all over the place, including in my plant pots. Hence the phrase 'squirrelling away" They do stay in their dreys more but come out to find food and water. The problem is they forget where they have stored their food and so I find all sorts of things growing in the pots! They even bury bread put out for the birds!

post-1195-1287560003_thumb.jpg

I was about to say the same re squirrels as they do not hibernate. They hide nuts and other foodstuffs all over the place, including in my plant pots.

The squirrels used to make us laugh when we discovered their 'treasures' in my plant pots..jam sandwiches and chocolate cake were firm favourites (and not from us either!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)