Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Problem

Would you believe though, the reception teacher has said that 'our' children aren't as able to sit still for their group snack time as children from other preschools! So now we're thinking about reintroducing a group one too - maybe rolling in the morning and group in the afternoon or vice versa!!

*on soapbox* (sorry)

this really struck a cord with me... it is not our job to 'prepare' children to do things at school, but to give them what is best for them while in our care... so in this case I would stick to my guns, continue doing what is best for the children - and not change so that they are ready to do xxx at school... they will get there eventually...

sorry but it has always been a big bugbear of mine that we are often seen as somewhere to prepare for school and not a level of education in our own right!

*off soapbox*

Inge

Would you believe though, the reception teacher has said that 'our' children aren't as able to sit still for their group snack time as children from other preschools! So now we're thinking about reintroducing a group one too - maybe rolling in the morning and group in the afternoon or vice versa!!

*on soapbox* (sorry)

this really struck a cord with me... it is not our job to 'prepare' children to do things at school, but to give them what is best for them while in our care... so in this case I would stick to my guns, continue doing what is best for the children - and not change so that they are ready to do xxx at school... they will get there eventually...

sorry but it has always been a big bugbear of mine that we are often seen as somewhere to prepare for school and not a level of education in our own right!

*off soapbox*

Inge

Ooh, I so agree! Some things, I do think we should do to prepare children, not for school, but for life - showing them how to wash their hands, pull clothes down & up for the toilet, get coats on/off their pegs, start to put coats on/off - but we shouldn't be preparing them for school! I think the Reception teacher needs reminding she is in the Foundation stage too - if children cannot sit for her snack time she needs to look at why and change it to make it shorter/more organised/more interesting for them to sit down while others are eating...

We have a 'hand' that swivels to keep the door from shutting properly from finger shield. It just sticks to the door and works brilliantly.

http://shop.fingershield.co.uk/Fingershiel...ory-500014.html

My hand shields turned up on Friday.

FANTASTIC the children all began shutting the door behind them (its only open a little now) We are a pack away but the hall are happy as the door to the garden can only be opened from inside so you can easily get locked out so the make use of it. Staff and other hall users are happy as we are keeping a lot more heat indoors

Thank you so much for posting this :o its a winter life saver no moaning about it being too cold with the door open and still FREEFLOW all session!!! xD:(:( its the best £6.95 spent (its on account and still haven't been billed :( )

My hand shields turned up on Friday.

FANTASTIC the children all began shutting the door behind them (its only open a little now) We are a pack away but the hall are happy as the door to the garden can only be opened from inside so you can easily get locked out so the make use of it. Staff and other hall users are happy as we are keeping a lot more heat indoors

Thank you so much for posting this :o its a winter life saver no moaning about it being too cold with the door open and still FREEFLOW all session!!! xD:(:( its the best £6.95 spent (its on account and still haven't been billed :( )

They really are great aren't they - glad to be of help!

Mines arrived today - instructions a very straightforward for fitting.

Place the hand (which is a hard plastic thing, I had thought originally it would be like a gel) at the edge of the opening door, i.e. not at the jamb), and it is stuck there, to activate it, you turn the hand like a knob clockwise and it protrubs into the gap to stop the door closing properly, when you no longer want it to "work", you simply turn the knob back anit-clockwise into the locking position.

Does that explain it any better?

I think i might have got it. Right imagine the door in front of you you stick it on facing you then when you wish to activate it you turn the knob and it moves so it doesn't allow the door to shut completely, then when you wish to shut it you just turn the knob back. My only question now is can these come off each day as we are a packaway setting and not sure the Parish Council would like hands all over the doors when hiring the hall for weddings etc.

Edited by bridger

My stomach lurched a bit when I saw a reply with a quote from me at the top xD

I'm so glad others were miffed too though as I do feel like whatever we do, the school seems to moan - they can't cut round a shape, they can't change for PE, they can't sit still for longer than 5 minutes.... Actually moaning is a bit mean. It's more of an observation - we do generally have a good relationship with the teachers.

The thing is as well, we changed from a whole group snack after Ofsted said we should and we find it works well so :o to school!!

Now you ladies seem to think the same I'm definitely sticking to that.

I was thinking of doing the plastic strips on a pole to keep the heat in but think now I'll order the hand first as it's not expensive really is it?

I think i might have got it. Right imagine the door in front of you you stick it on facing you then when you wish to activate it you turn the knob and it moves so it doesn't allow the door to shut completely, then when you wish to shut it you just turn the knob back. My only question now is can these come off each day as we are a packaway setting and not sure the Parish Council would like hands all over the doors when hiring the hall for weddings etc.

I would say you have grasped well how it works - but no, I don't think you could remove it everyday, on the back of the hand is a circle of sticky backed plastic you remove to stick it to the door, it would soon stop being effective if removed too many times. However, you could ask your pc, they may just say yes, it's not very big - about the size of a 8 year old's hand, they do come in different colours, you might be able to get one which matches the shade of your door.

I would say you have grasped well how it works - but no, I don't think you could remove it everyday, on the back of the hand is a circle of sticky backed plastic you remove to stick it to the door, it would soon stop being effective if removed too many times. However, you could ask your pc, they may just say yes, it's not very big - about the size of a 8 year old's hand, they do come in different colours, you might be able to get one which matches the shade of your door.

I would also point out to the parish council that it does make it safer for all users - most weddings I've been to have some children and people going in & out of doors (to smoke) - and that you're offering to pay for it. I'm the Secretary for my boys' scout group which owns the scout hall - if we had a long term user asking to get these, I'd be voting 'yes'.

We're planning to get the plastic strips for our doors but I like the sound of the hands too.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, am glad to hear am not the only 1 having these problems, been at a nursery for 2 months as a nursery practitioner to advise on planning enviroment and ofsted, as i feel i have a good alround or knowledge on these for wanting to learn and making a point of learning. So started with the enviroment changes made this was fine by all nex the tricky 1 observations and planning, av disscused the whys and haves there still not getting it, yes they are all stuck in a rut had no traing of the eyfs!!!! like the other day asked a member of staff is there anything you would like me to put out in the messy room??? hoping the response would be, yes i saw such a child or children enjoying engaged with, what they observed no chance all i get is dont no anything, :o this is the measure of the response always get, planning so simple just to get them evvolved and the process just a continuous provision sheet and to write down simples no still not happening now tearing my hair out. please help

wow, am glad to hear am not the only 1 having these problems, been at a nursery for 2 months as a nursery practitioner to advise on planning enviroment and ofsted, as i feel i have a good alround or knowledge on these for wanting to learn and making a point of learning. So started with the enviroment changes made this was fine by all nex the tricky 1 observations and planning, av disscused the whys and haves there still not getting it, yes they are all stuck in a rut had no traing of the eyfs!!!! like the other day asked a member of staff is there anything you would like me to put out in the messy room??? hoping the response would be, yes i saw such a child or children enjoying engaged with, what they observed no chance all i get is dont no anything, :o this is the measure of the response always get, planning so simple just to get them evvolved and the process just a continuous provision sheet and to write down simples no still not happening now tearing my hair out. please help

Ohhh dear I have been there and got the t-shirt but i didn't have the support of the manager. Do you? If so can you not try and get them on EYFS training?

Planning and Observations are the tricky part I think, I struggle with one member of staff and this too and there is only a small number of us too. I am thinking of i introducing a laminated A3 sheet of paper or a white board where the staff can note doe their observations just even initals and a brief description of what they were doing. Not sure it will work but my main issue is that there not forth coming in putting it on the planning

Could you start off really simple to get them used to the idea? If it's something they've never done before they might be wary of 'saying the wrong thing' or think that they haven't seen anything important because they are looking for something really spectacular rather than everyday.

How about starting off prescriptive. I know observations are supposed to be spontaneous to a certain extent, but why not give each member of staff a sheet and a single child to observe. Tell them they have to write down exactly what the child is doing at certain intervals (10 minutes?) for an hour or two. You could then see what they have written down and take things forward from there by going through the sheets and showing them evidence that the child is engaging with certain things or by guiding them towards other important things to notice. It might give you insight into what they are actually seeing when they look at what a child is doing. It could be they are nervous since they have no training and are thinking they should be seeing something 'special' when doing observations and because they aren't they are worried about actually saying anything at all.

Edited by Guest