Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Followed Gut Instinct

Hello,

I posted last week that i had an interview for pre-school manager, well last night i had a phone call requesting that i went for a working interview where i would spend two hours in the pre-school. I have declined this and therefore opted out of the whole application process itself now. The person who interviewed me said it was a shame because i had done a very good interview and it was between me and one other. Now you may be wondering why would i do such a thing as decline the working interview and opt out of the whole process .... welll GUT INSTINCT !.

I have always been one that has followed my gut instinct and it hasn't ever failed me (at least not that i can remember). When i had the interview i felt it went very well, but when i looked round the pre-school i did not get a "wow factor" or a feeling that i really wanted to get my teeth into a new challenge. see, i am happy where i am now..... i do have a thirty minute journey to and from work now (versus a 5 min journey had i have gotten the pre-school job), i now have settled in the job i am in and sure it's long hours (as working in private nurseries often is!), its travelling and its a deputy role and not a manager, but something in me tells me its right to stay (i'm not sure what though). sure my job has challenges (as do most jobs) and it frustrates me at times but mostly i love it :o

i am never normally fearful of change, but something didn't feel right, yet again i don't know what didn't feel right, just "something". I don't even know why i went for the job in the first place (other than it was closer to home and slightly less hours when you factored in travelling time) i found myself feeling physically ill worrying about the potential change if i was offered the job.

i now feel more settled in myself which makes me thing my gut instinct was right all along.

just wondered if anyone else would have gone with their gut instinct on this one

Dawn

Thanks Cait,

good to hear i am not the only one that follows their gut instinct

I always go with mine when I have the opportunity - not failed me yet! Glad you are feeling less tense now x

I definately think you've done the right thing. I had that gut instinct when I went for a job, it just didn't feel right and really wanted to stay at my present school but had been told there was no funding to keep me on. Unlike you, this reflected in my interview and I didn't get the job. When I returned to work they asked me if I got the job. When i said no they were relieved as they had found me some funding from somewhere else. 9 years on I am still working there and they have supportrd me through completing my degree and hopefully my PGCE next year. I am a strong believer that things happen for a reason.

This interview wasn't in vain you will have gained some valuable confidence in your abilities. You have had feedback that you completed a good interview and that you are management potential and who knows you could become the manager of your present setting in the future!

[i quote name=Dawn' date='Oct 7 2010, 20:19' post='270216]

Hello,

I posted last week that i had an interview for pre-school manager, well last night i had a phone call requesting that i went for a working interview where i would spend two hours in the pre-school. I have declined this and therefore opted out of the whole application process itself now. The person who interviewed me said it was a shame because i had done a very good interview and it was between me and one other. Now you may be wondering why would i do such a thing as decline the working interview and opt out of the whole process .... welll GUT INSTINCT !.

I have always been one that has followed my gut instinct and it hasn't ever failed me (at least not that i can remember). When i had the interview i felt it went very well, but when i looked round the pre-school i did not get a "wow factor" or a feeling that i really wanted to get my teeth into a new challenge. see, i am happy where i am now..... i do have a thirty minute journey to and from work now (versus a 5 min journey had i have gotten the pre-school job), i now have settled in the job i am in and sure it's long hours (as working in private nurseries often is!), its travelling and its a deputy role and not a manager, but something in me tells me its right to stay (i'm not sure what though). sure my job has challenges (as do most jobs) and it frustrates me at times but mostly i love it :o

i am never normally fearful of change, but something didn't feel right, yet again i don't know what didn't feel right, just "something". I don't even know why i went for the job in the first place (other than it was closer to home and slightly less hours when you factored in travelling time) i found myself feeling physically ill worrying about the potential change if i was offered the job.

i now feel more settled in myself which makes me thing my gut instinct was right all along.

just wondered if anyone else would have gone with their gut instinct on this one

Dawn

I agree. If deep down you'd really wanted the job you'd have gone for the working interview. Just don't look back and think what if. A job has to feel right, unless you're really desperate :o The interview process isn't just about you applying it's about finding out if the job is right for you. x

I always go with mine when I have the opportunity - not failed me yet! Glad you are feeling less tense now x

I've learned the hard way :o Twice when I've had childminding vacancies I've ignored the nagging little voice that told me I'd find the families (parents!) hard to work with and both times it's been a nightmare and ended badly :(

I always follow my gut instinct now xD

Nona

Ignored mine once too and took a teaching job that was just a nightmare.

It ended up having some upsides but I didn't stay there long so everyone lost out.

Well done for listening to your instincts.

Gosh Dawn it could have been me writing that letter. Like you I trust my gut instinct and like you it has never let me down.

I had an interview a few weeks ago for a job with a very well known chain, when I got there, as you say, it just didn't feel right, I have no idea why as I believe they are a very good company to work for. The interview went well I thought, but on the way home I decided that should they offer me the position I would turn it down. Fortunately they didnt offer the position, as like someone else said I think my feelings must have shown through during the interview.

I am mostly happy where I am, there's a few changes happening, some quite radical and some brilliant; I work with brilliant girls and a very good support network in head office; so I think, for now that unless I win the lottery or a "dream job" crops up I'll stay where I am; for this week at least!!!!

I remember sitting in a classroom a few years ago just before an interview deciding that I would definitely not want the job! I probably did the worst interview I've ever done as I just wanted to get out of there so, luckily, it wasn't even offered!

Good for you Dawn. In our jobs i think we are quite good at using our gut instinct most of the time. If only it would work when the choccy biccies are coming out of the tin. :o

Naughty but nice i think that might be called but no will power. xD

Oh well can't be good all the time.

Enjoy the place your at.

Best wishes :(

I have been at the same setting almost 8 years as manager and last year had 'itchy feet' feeling the need to move on. After having two successful interviews and both jobs offered to me, neither had the 'wow' factor. This enabled me to sit back and think about all the 'wow' moments i had achieved at my setting with the team. It sometimes seems 'the grass is always greener' but when you look back in reflection it's not always the case:1b You made the right choice!

dottyp