Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenge In Continuous Provision

Hi all

I figure that the things that I get asked about most when I am out supporting schools will also be the things that are frustrating you!

This week I have been mostly helping with how to provide challenge in continuous provision. I have posted my ideas here. Hope they help.

Alistair

I find that CP cards work really well for me but you are right in the fact that you need to promote and value them yourself in order for the children to do so. There is not point introducing them unless you are going to raise the profile of them.

Although, with everything else, i kind of feel like i'm spinning 10 decks at once!

Hi all

I figure that the things that I get asked about most when I am out supporting schools will also be the things that are frustrating you!

This week I have been mostly helping with how to provide challenge in continuous provision. I have posted my ideas here. Hope they help.

Alistair

Thanks so much for sharing

I tried to post a comment on your blog about this yesterday but it got eaten! Funnily enough I'd spent the afternoon making 'Can you...' cards for my continuous provision areas. This was originally to give support to the various adults who work in my class by providing a prompt question they could use as a starting point with the children if they were stuck.

I introduced the 'challenge' to my class this morning (without the cards - it was a manic start to the week) and during the first session 2 girls did some of the challenges. Lots of praise given in the 'plenary' to the lesson and lo and behold next session I had half the class involved in making owl nests out of construct straws (We've been reading Owl Babies and the challenge was to make a nest for the owls). Two of the boys decided to join their nests together and then told me it was a "Party nest"!

I have an idea to extend this for the Year 1s in my class - would really like some feedback on it. I'm thinking of putting together a 'What next?' page for children when they have completed their initial independent task. My thinking was that sometimes it could have a standard extension question on it. Other times it could say "Choose a purple/red/blue challenge" with the colour being linked to subject rather than ability. The challenges could be a bit more creative and fun. I even have a cool tin for them - one that a set of Alex Ryder books came in - very Mission Impossible!

The Y1s do, of course have access to all the usual continuous provision but in the past I've had feedback from observations saying that they'd like to see the Y1s doing things more directly related to their 'official' lesson.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)