Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Start?

Hi everyone

Now that I am booked on a briefing session I want to start getting prepared. I know I have a long way off but I really want to get started so I am very prepared.

Any advise on what i can start getting ready? Did you create the policies your self? does any one have examples of the planning you use which I could look at to give me an idea of where to start.

Adele x

Welcome to childminding.

With every family you look after you will learn something new. These are a few things I wish I had known at the beginning.

If you have a support childminder, ask to visit their setting and ask for them to visit yours so that they can give you CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Working out accounts on a monthly basis is a pain. Consider working out an annual fee according you contracted hours and dividing by 12 (or whenever you start your financial year). Saves fronting up with accounts based on months of four or five weeks a month. Parents know what they can expect to pay each month, you know how much you will earn, and there is less discussion about money, which I find very difficult to address. Extras and refunds can be worked out 'as and when'.

Make up packs for each family with contracts, child record forms, policies and procedures (especially those that need to be signed eg: safeguarding/child protection). It looks more professional when parents decide to use your service.

Consider joining a toy library. Saves having endless toys that need storage. If you change toys often it shows that you are planning for the developmental needs of the children. Similarly, if you plan your crafts and activities, it saves having more supplies and equipment than you need (saves money as well as space.)

Will put some more thought into it and might add later.

Honey

Thank you Ladies,

I have signed up to go on my briefing session on the 13th of this month. . .so not long! I have spoken to a friend who is a childminder and I should hopefully be joining her group (they are a very active grp and I know a few of the members already).

Thank you Inge for the link they have some great stuff on there i'm going to have to sit with a cuppa and print some good bits off, my friend gave me a link too although this one was set up by her grp I think http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F...%2F&h=bfd2b .

I love your ideas Honey, our fees were done the same when I was a nursery manager and I think this is the best way to work it out, it will be a lot less hassle.

Adele x

Where to start, have a good read through the EYFS - highlight the bits were it talks about a policy or procedure or something that can be worked up to a P&P. That takes you a good chunk through starting.

Be careful on places like Bromley - its an excellent website but beware you won't need all the policies listed on there so be selective. And please please do not buy anything from ebay or the like.

NCMA have some sample templates as well on website.

Have you discovered www.childmindingforum.co.uk - its a brill website for childminders around the UK and some from abroad - there are free resources on there as well plus lots of help, support and advice.

There is also a fabulous outstanding minder who produces some excellent e-books (used by many local authorities) http://eyfsforchildminders.webnode.com//

Thankyou for the advice i have started to look into planning and policies and procedures. This has been quite hard as i currently don't have the internet and can only get on there on my phone so i can not down load the eyfs and i believe the eyfspk can not be sent out in the post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)