Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gifted And Talented?

Hi Folks

today we discovered we have a maths wizard amongst our children. He's just turned 3, it's his second day in nursery and he loves numbers. SO much so that when playing on the lightbox with the gel numbers he was putting combinations of three numbers together and telling us what they were e.f. 207, 896, 104 etc!

Speaking to mum tonight we asked what she had observed of him at home- he loves countdown, has been known to count to a 1,000, is beginning to write numbers, especially large numbers and also likes to watch alpha blocks - he knows letter names both lower and upper case - not yet the sound. Phew!

Have spoken to the head and we will gather more evidence on him with a view to getting the SENCO involved. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this and what types of things you did to support their learning?

Obviously we do not yet know if this is a fluke, photographic memory, or something much more ???

This sounds like my little girl. She has taught herself letter names and sounds from watching alphablocks.

In the car this week she has been spotting numbers up to 100 and saying 6 and 7 is 67. Today she started to ask about numbers over 100.

She is also 3. Not sure what to do with her next. Although to be honest like most 3 year olds I am sure she will dictate what she wants to learn next!! Whenever I try to teach her something she is not in the least interested!

She has also just started nursery. In her home school book it said she did well with her numbers to 5! I am not too worried by this though as there is a lot more to learn being at nursery than letters and numbers.

Really interested to see what others views are

• 5 years later...

There are lots of games and activities on pinterest that might be of use. We have a little one who is reading and another who has really good maths skills (though not as advanced as this little chap!) however both also have ASD ! Personally I find that the trickiest part is to encourage them to not be too obsessed by their talents...(not to ignore them of course) but often they get SO in to maths or literacy that they are unable to express normal PSE skills

• Like 2

those links don't work :(

i could also do with some ideas on how to support some children that are showing to be gifted...

Did the links not take you to a page which explained that these files have been archived - you should still be able to find them :1b

! Personally I find that the trickiest part is to encourage them to not be too obsessed by their talents...(not to ignore them of course) but often they get SO in to maths or literacy that they are unable to express normal PSE skills

So true fm and can be really tricky to help parents understand that their children's development in Maths and Reading, Writing 'won't get them far' without the necessary PSE skills.......

A few years ago I had a little boy in my setting who showed the same skills as that on entry at 2 and a half. Given the choice he would have happily played with numbers and letters with an adult for the whole session but he seriously lacked social skills and had no idea how to actually play, alone or with peers. We spent a great deal of time supporting his PSE while also developing his phenomenal talents. I went on a gifted and talented course and also worked with the F2 teachers (then year 1 and 2 teachers!!) as he went along, making sure he was developing core skills securely alongside his advanced learning. This was easier for me than some as we are based within a main school. I realise this might not be possible if in a nursery setting.

those links don't work :(

i could also do with some ideas on how to support some children that are showing to be gifted...

Are these any help?

Finding_Exploring.pdf

Gateway-to-Writing-Meeting-the-needs-of-gifted-and-talented-boys.pdf

Also the link takes you to the ELG exemplification guides so that you can see what the ELG looks like in practice

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eyfs-profile-exemplication-materials

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)