Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Sand Or Water Trays?

Has anyone NOT got a sand or water tray in their classroom- through choice? I just look around our classroom and am so pleased with it- the layout, the organisation, the clear photographic labels etc etc but then I get to the 2 trays and feel :o bored. am considering filling them with alternatives (not sure what just yet mind you!), my thinking is that as long as there are plenty of opportunities to develop the same skills as sand and water would develop then does it matter? would be interested in other's ideas/thought about this and any suggestions for appropriate alternatives?

We don't have either in our classroom both are available outside. Instead i have small trays filled with various things as the feeling takes us!! It may be water, foam, pasta, paper, beads ......... Classroom is just not big enough to have large trays in and we have a brill outdoor sandpit of the get in it type and a water tray as well as various other water facilities such as pipes, guttering, baby bath etc.

You do not have to have these available every day as long as they are available at times!

that is fine and understandable with water, but sand is not so easy to fill up and empty- where do you store it in between times?

Porridge oats are great, too. I managed to get hold of a huge sack from a wholesaler for next to nothing, because they were almost at the sell by date. Leaves are nice too, try hiding different things, such as shells, pebbles , small world creatures etc in there

Guest jenpercy
Shredded paper from the secretary.....kids love it, wall paper paste aswell, but it does need to be the anti fungus one xx

Anti-fungus walllparer paste is keep away from children.

children must use craft paste which DOES NOT have anti-fungus. just throw it away at the end of the day.

what about cornflour gloop!!

Popcorn made up was a big favourite of my class and pots and sieves. Compost, sawdust, bird seed. When we were investigating chocolate one year we put cocoa powder in the tray and drinking chocolate and told the children it would make them poorly if they ate it , the smell in the class was lovely :o

rice is another good one to have in a tray - my new sand hadn't arrived one term so I used this for weeks, kids loved it.

have you tried coloured rice looks great. just add food colouring give it a mix and hey presto.

we did different colours looked like hundreds and thousands.

buttercup

I work in a nursery, but we often use Gelli-Baff instead of water. It's available in B&Q I think. It is supposed to be used in the bath. Put your water in and add the coloured powder (blue or pink) and it turns to gelli. When you have finished add the other powder and it turns back to water and can be poured down the drain. Worth looking into our children love it.

Last winter we also used the artificial snow that you add to water. Looks like the real stuff and feels cold too.

I saw some of that gelli-baff (or similar products of a different brand) in Tesco and in Asda recently so it's easy to pick up with your shopping!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)