Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Officer

I would be grateful for some advice. Who should be the safeguarding officer at a pre-school? Is it Ok for it to be somebody who only works part time?

Many Thanks

Yes same here its our Supervisor as our named safeguarding officer and is in all sessions. It could be a person in a senior or managerial position with the appropriate up to date training.

Remember to that all training this should always be cascaded down to all relevant staff that work directly with the children so that they all know who to turn to should a concern occur. :o

don't forget you need a named deputy safeguarding officer also. We have 2 FT members of staff as main and deputy Safeguarding Officers

Oh! this is new to me! :o Do you mind me asking where this is legislated, can't believe I have missed it but obviously have xD

Hi Geraldine, just checked my statutory framework, and I also can't find any reference to a named deputy. However, I was definately told this on my last safeguarding course. Perhaps just best practice, or perhaps it's a requirement of our LEA. Not sure!!

don't forget you need a named deputy safeguarding officer also. We have 2 FT members of staff as main and deputy Safeguarding Officers

Really? We don't have one and Ofsted didn't pull me up on this at our recent inspection. But then we are a small group. Can you point me at the place it tells me this so I can incorporate it into my operational plan please?

Maz

Hi Maz, as I explained to Geraldine, I also can't find this in the legislation, so must have assumed it was a requirement, but actually it is not in law. Nevertheless, I was told at the last training meeting that I should nominate a deputy, which I have.

Training done today by a staff member, they were told there has to be 2 trained to level 2.

If your safeguarding person was off, someone who was trained to level 2 has to cover.

I only renewed my level 2 in July and already there are things in the policies that have got to be changed - it's never ending :o

Thanks for all of your comments. Our supervisor has just informed us that she doesn't have to be the nominated person and she hasn't got time to go on the training until she has completed her NVQ L4, the deputy is not up to date so they have told a part time member of staff that they have to take it on. Our committee raised a concern over this but the supervisor cut them down. I think the committee are looking into any official information so that they can challenge this decision.

Guest jenpercy

Well as the nominated person, I have not had to do anything much at all. I am the Manager and when I was just about to set off for my daughter's wedding, I phoned in about something else and immediately went in to sort out ringing child protection and reporting to OFSTED. It took me about 2 hours that mornining, and I haver a meeting next week. Before that I think it was about 3 years ago that I did anything, and before that 5, so it is not an onerous task.

Does your Supervisor mean that if there was a concern, that they would let the part-timer have all the dealings with OFSTED? What happens if you have an incident on her day off, would they call her in to have sensitive talks with parents and OFSTED.

I feel myself that it is best handled by a Senior member of staff, and that although a Deputy is not necessary, thought should be given to who would do it if she is away.

Deput, and all staff, including Supervisor must be up to date asap. It is a requirement. Do you have specific training for nominated person? We don't actually but it will presumably be one day?

PS. It was 2 days before the wedding, but it was cake icing day, so I was on the phone to Social services with a very irate and anxious husband (the master baker) breathing down my neck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)