Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwashing

I thought there was some school of thought that suggested that children shouldn't be using anti-bac soap? Have I misunderstood?

That's what the PLA policy says, but I'm not sure why.

No Cait as I think research showed that there was no difference to children's cleanliness levels or infection rate what is important is that hands are washed properly. The downside with anti-bacs is that they may be creating 'superbug's' resistant to antibiotics. I think there are also some concerns about what they are made of.

I was under the belief that hard soaps harbour germs, also generally get very messy looking quickly and that liquid soaps, although not anti bac, were recommended - along with paper towels and not hand dryers ?

I always thought it was more in the washing then the soap. My poor class sing a song as they wash their hands to guarantee they are actually washong for 15 seconds rather than the usual 2!!

I have tried to create consciousness about this at our school, but I have found a hard wall. I was told that some (I really think only one) parents criticized how my class did it, that they had taught their boy at home and now it was creating a 'problem' because he wanted to sing the song (between 10 - 15 seconds) even when they were in a 'hurry' before going out, e.g. to school. I had show them the video and they truly understood the why it was important to wash their hands. I never expected for them to really scrub their hands, but be more careful when doing it. Now I cannot show them the video nor sing the song nor count. With '3 seconds it is said to be enough'! I was even told that the my class was wasting too much soap, when all girls from Primary and Secondary also use the toilet. What can I do when I am at a private school? :o So now I only explain why it was important and demonstrated how to do it, only that. I do make sure that they wash their hands before eating (which for 'some' seem not that important) and after going to the toilet.

• 4 weeks later...
There was an article in Nursery World about a Outdoor Nursery in Scotland being criticised for not using running water and usisng the anti bac. Not sure how to attatch it or a link.

smiles

Here is the original story

and the follow up - the nursery has won its battle to use wipes rather than running water for most of the day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)