Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Am I?

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for our new learning quest in Reception - finding out who I am...

Would like to focus in on a story where the character is trying to find out who they are!

Thought of: The Ugly Duckling, Stickman, African Princess

Anyone have any other ideas??

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for our new learning quest in Reception - finding out who I am...

Would like to focus in on a story where the character is trying to find out who they are!

Thought of: The Ugly Duckling, Stickman, African Princess

Anyone have any other ideas??

once there were giants?

rosie's hat?

Both good for looking at how we change as we grow!

I had a book called Small brown dogs bad remembering day, no idea who the author was. Small brown dog cant remember his nam,e and asks loads of people he meets round town who all know something about him but not his name. You end up with a load of information about him before suddenly realising his name. :o

Thank you all so much for your suggestions - these were exactly the kind of books I was after - an animal trying to find out who they are... A great intro to the learning quest!

Any ideas for role play? This is my first year in Reception - have been in a foundation ethos Y1/2 class previously. Spoke to a more experienced R teacher who said she always starts off the year with a home corner role play - its not an intimidating place for the children... Im not sure about this, what do you think?

Thanks again x

p.s. Found another nice one by Eric Carle, The Mixed up Chameleon

Would a home corner role play not fit your theme well? Its all about the things that are familair to the children ie thier home and surely that is who they are?

In an ideal world, I think a traditional home corner should be in place alongside another themed corner at akl times but very few of us actually have that sort of space.

Let the children take the lead in the role play corner, if they dont want a "home" they will soon change it and it may give you other clues to their interests. I had a group one year who were always having parties and we went on to look at different celebrations!

Hi Susan!

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware that some classes have a home corner and role play area.

It would fit well, but suppose I thinking something different might really excite the children. They have always had a home corner and Im not sure that changing it around would have been encouraged by the previous teacher.

I really like your idea of allowing them to make the role play area their own! I might try updating it and making it less tired perhaps!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)