Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Can I Get Some Cheap Material?

I'm looking for something to enclose areas of my classroom, but in a way that doesn't hide them completely from my view. Does anyone know of a good place to get sheets or lengths of gauze or chiffon-y type material that I could attach to the ceiling as a drape? I’ll have to pay for them myself so it would be good if they weren’t too expensive!

Have you tried Ikea? They used to have panels I think 2 for £10. Their curtain material is usually 10 foot long too, so plenty to spare.

I'm heading for my local markets sometime this week to look for fabric, much cheaper than the shops. Do you have anywhere you could get off cuts from, my mom always used off cuts for curtains

I'm looking for something to enclose areas of my classroom, but in a way that doesn't hide them completely from my view. Does anyone know of a good place to get sheets or lengths of gauze or chiffon-y type material that I could attach to the ceiling as a drape? I’ll have to pay for them myself so it would be good if they weren’t too expensive!

Hi, Ikea do sheer curtains £5 a pair - saw some last week. Depends on whether you want light colours or not. They had some purple ones, maybe lighter colours if you check. Ikea also do lengths of sheer fabric, although very bright colours, red and green. These are £1. Hope this helps.

and local charity shops, got some huge voile curtains from a charity shop for next to nothing..

but I also agree Ikea is good place to start.. their curtains are always very long so good value

Inge

Hi agree with Ikea, charity shops, markets can be good, i went to a shop called The Range and bought some organza/ voile off the roll to make some panels for our book area £1.99 a metre, fantastic colours, also got a sparkly door blind thingy there too for £7.99.

I went to the 99p store and found some lovely sticky mirror decorations to put up in moons, stars, vehicles.

So much for a holiday but i love it really. xD:o

Edited by bridger

Was in Ikea last week and never thought about looking at their curtains. I couldn't see anywhere they sold sheer material though, but I didn't really think to look. I guess another trip down there is in order!

Shops which sell Asian women's clothes generally have a wide range of beautiful chiffon- type fabrics.

Hi

Have you thought of using expandable garden trellis? It depends how much of an area you need to block out but I have used it and its good as you can still see through it! Quite cheap from the pound shops or similar.

Good luck, Jean

Hi Dobo, that is a good idea, but nowI'm wondering where I could use it in our church hall!!

We used it to screen off areas of the garden we didn't want children to access, however it doesn't respond well to being taken down every day so now we use some plastic mesh instead. The bamboo trellis would make a great way of displaying children's work from the ceiling if you're allowed to fix things up there!

Welcome to the Forum, Dobo!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)