Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snacktime Ideas

Fredbear

Hi you lovely people. I am searching for some new tasty delicious and easy to prepare snacks for our pre-school children.

We presently do cheese and crackers, toast and butter, crackerbreads with diarylea, fromage frais and bread & butter, pitta breads with philly,, crumpets, with an accompaniment of either carrot sticks, cucumber,apples,oranges,bananas, raisins and seasonal fruits & vegetables on a rota, as well as water, milk and juices. I'm keen to jiggle it and make it a bit more exciting any suggestions please.

THANKS EVERYBODY xD:o:(

we have hummus with various things to 'dip' - the children really enjoy it.

we sometimes do a 'sandwich bar' various fillings set up during the session -the children can come up and make their sarnie and put it in the fridge for snack time ( we usually do this idf we have a few tomatoes /cuc etc left over that wouldnt be enough on their own iyswim !!)

we also do porridge / rice pudding / semolina

we have a garden that the children can pick their veg from - so we have had potatoes, carrots, peas, radishes, lettuce, beans etc - you could grow some in pots too if you dont have a garden -they love to see the whole 'planting -- picking' process too

we have made jelly + milk jelly

we also encourage parents to give us ideas too - if their child has a favourite food that we could serve (or adapt ) we do so, it also gives the children the oppertunity to talk about their favourites and why they like them etc.

Hi bridger - can't say this is exciting but... we often give a whole range of cereals - go down well with ours (obviously avoiding the chocolatey/sugary ones)

Smoothies are another good one - children can help make etc. and are easy to do.

I will be interested to see what else comes up - I too look for inspiration on snack ideas away from the obvious!

We make easy pizza's with tomato or peppers on top of the cheese. These always get eaten up. Cheese or plain scones are easy too if you have an oven.

we have made easy pizzas with tomato puree and cheese on top of muffins then put into oven until cheese all melted . Children can add other toppings if they want to. We had one child who only wanted the muffin, one who only wanted cheese on the muffin - you can lead a horse to water etc. etc.....

We have a popcorn maker which they love too.

we did angel delight once - that was good as children made it first.

reminds me of the time we did an activity before snack with this... divided into groups and each had a packet to make up using a different method.. one had a fork, another a hand whisk, a rotary whisk and an electric one...who could mix it fastest... ( the hand whisk was victorious, and they all enjoyed tasting the different ones we had made...( a good use of the milk left at end of the week too)

Inge