Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Get Parents Involved In The Policies?

I usually let them know that we will be updating policies and that their input, comments would be welcome. I invite them to speak to the playleader if they wish to be involved. Basically, they have a chance to be involved through joining the committee, but if they dont take taht opportunity then I take it that they are happy for the policies to say whatever we want!!

Most of my parents weren't interested in policies at all - it was a struggle to get them to read them at all, let alone comment on them. Like Rea, I used to work in conjunction with the committee when it came to reviewing policies since those parents who were truly interested took on roles in the committee. :o

When I ran a preschool my experience was the same as Rea and Beau's. You can always try banging the drum at AGM or if you have a summer event coming up.

Sue

But it will need to be a darn big drum if you want them to hear :o

This is something that came up in my suitable person interview today. The ofsted inspector suggested that every now & then we ask parents to read the policies & let us know if they are easy to understand & if they have any queries. not to be negative but sounds like trying to get parents to fill in wow moments which I want to try something different with as they are not doing it. Will watch this space for any advice on either!

But it will need to be a darn big drum if you want them to hear :o

This is SOOOO true!

Mollypiper - Wow moments.... you could try having sessions where you ask the parents to stay for a coffee and chat, if you have an area for time away from the main play space. You may be able to get the kind of feedback you need like this???

so input from parent committee members should be enough??? The coffee morning is a good idea, like it! Maybe put it out to parents in september, if anyone is interested in looking and having input will turn up, especially if there is chocolate cake!! lol

Thanks for all your input, this is a great site! wish i had found it sooner :o

In theory all parents are invited via newsletters committee meetings etc to be involved and have their say. In practise it's me (sometimes with my Dep) reviewing, updating typing up and emailing to committee members prior to meeting. I then ask for any comments/suggestions on them and they are then almost without exception adopted!!

I dont think even my committee members read them. The only time I know they did (as there was a big typo in it) was our mobile phone one. They (whoever they are) can say what they like but you cannot force people to read things and as long as they have the opportunity to contribute towards them (as they do at committee meetings) then I see no problems.

Guest Spiral

Committee involvement is a real bug bear!

I've rattled on for years and it hasn't really ever worked, so I do much of it myself, have worked hard to look at finance and have an extra staff member n a couple of times a week so I can get the paperwork/committee bits sorted.

As far as policies go, I end up doing the same every year - stating that we have policies to implement which are in line with current guidance and that the policies cannot be in place without committee approval - as a response I usually get ok, what are they, yes they're fine (no reading) and one year the committee minuted that any changes necessary could be put into place by myself and the staff and they would accept any changes! Don't know how that works legally though if something goes wrong and they are liable!

Very best of luck :o

Spiral.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)