Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Face Painting

Does anyone regularly do face painting - what paints do you use, how so you use them safely with regard to health parents will be there, so permission is not a worry but are the paints allergy free? - what hints and tips can you offer a face painting 'virgin' :oxD

I read something on here last year (or possibly I started the thread!) about hygiene and face painting, one sponge for each child etc.

I find Snazaroo are the best as the step by step guide is quite easy to follow.

ppp

Change your water for every child and paintbrush etc. I usually have 3 paintbrushes, one I'm using, one in milton and one in clean water and they nip from pot to pot. I have a new sponge for each child - I got a big one from Dunelm mill and chopped it up. I then soak them when I get home and air dry them ready for next time. I use snazaroo paints too. I try not to get too close to eyes and with young children would never use the glittery paint anywhere near eyes

oh and quick edit to say, if you've never done it before, try not to be too ambitious as it will take longer than you suspect and you'll lose your queue!

Practice on someone beforehand, and use a book for ideas if you need to

Edited by Cait

I use Snazaroo - they are brilliant and affordable. I use them at school, church and at children's parties, and I always have parents sign a disclaimer that states that they have given permission for the child to have their face apinted and it advises them of sensitive skin etc, so if there is an reaction then I am not to blame! But Snazaroo paints are very child friendly and I've never known a child to react to them. I always use a wet wipe to clean the paints before I start using them, and I have lots of sponges and brushes, plus change the water regularly. Also a good tip is to keep an Alice band (plastic are better as you can wipe them clean) to push fringes and floppy hair back!

I echo above advice re fresh water/sponges/brushes for each child.

I use a baby wipes for each face first but be careful because that will clean off any sunblock parents have applied.

Limit the choice of faces they can have or children will take ages to choose and then come up with something really challenging.

Don't forget a mirror.

Oh and I buy the nice watercolour brushes from The Works to use.

Echo all of the above

If it seems like its a bit slow to start off, decorate a couple for free and send them off to play - works every time.

ask them in the queue to start choosing before they get to you - saves time in indecision. For the littlies have only two or three to choose from!!

Get to grips with whats trendy at the minute and if it appears complicated (Darth Maul was the in thing when I started out Grrr!!) try and adopt a similar but less complex version

Have a comfortable chair for both you and the customer and make sure they are at an ideal height to save backache

An old towel on your knee saves your clothes.

Make sure you have a friend nearby to provide you with refreshments and be prepared for the long haul

Anyone makes sarcastic comments - hand them a brush - it's not as easy as some make it look but Snazaroo paints and a variety of of different thickness's of good quality artists brushes really do make the difference.

Edit to say Enjoy it. It really is a buzz to see happy smiley painted faces courtesy of you!

Edited by gingerbreadman

We do backs of hands instead of faces - quicker, you needn't charge much and don't interfere with sunblock on face. Butterflies, spiders, skull and crossbones, ladybirds and no doubt England flags!

korkycat.

A good tip is not to bother with a base colour all over the face. We just paint whatever they want, eg tiger, butterfly straight on. We also made a book of what we can paint using a face outline and draw on the design, then it's easier for you to follow too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)