Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

September Numbers

Oh my, have just been looking at our numbers for september, we have 24 girls booked in and 50!!! boys. We have been boy heavy this year but not as much as this. That's 74 children booked in, can't believe it as this year we have been incredibly busy and we have 78 children. with 29 going to school.

I feel sorry for my daughter, in her age group she is 1 of 9 girls, compared to 21 boys! These boys will have to work hard for girlfriends when they are older, lol!

Already our Monday morning sessions are nearly full, we can have 40! We are never that busy in September. Wish some could move to a Tuesday day as have about 23 booked in. Unfortunately in our town all the groups seem to happen on a Tuesday. Looks like another busy year!

Edited by laura

...your not complaining I hope! Where abouts are you based? I hope you have a nice big outdoor area and that you have sunny weather for outdoor play for September then.

We are registered for 40 but the most we are likely to have based on projected numbers is 25'ish per session.

This is always a worrying time of the year for us as I have to approach staff and warn them that hours will go back to basic contacted hours and all the "extra's" will have to go once we get to the end of July.

BMG

We have healthyish numbers for September but we too have have twice as many boys as girls. Was it something in the water? We almost dance with delight when we get an enquiry for a girl at the moment.

Oh I'm not complaining - a very healthy start to the year. Had another visitor this afternoon apparantly - a boy! Have to say that on the whole we have lovely groups of boys, but feel a bit sorry for the girls as if they stay all day there may be only 1 girl.

Although we've been boy heavy this year, my sons Reception year in september is 50 50.

Our outdoor area is small, but during this next 2 weeks its being completely re-done, new fence up, canopy being done so we can go out in all weather and safety flooring - can't wait. We managed to go out today as they weren't working on it, has been hard with 40 children staying inside!

We are in Lincolnshire BMG, our afternoon sessions will be a lot quieter until the next funding wave in January but at least my staff will be picking up morning sessions.

Edited by laura

Whilst not complaining either ....our boy heavy reception (41:19) does have implications for the whole school, all our staff are aware that for this year group their planning and curriculum will need to be directed differently. For us in reception it hasn't been an issue, we have freeflow indoors and outdoors and obviously our focus has been on the boys interests but we made sure the girls were included (knights have to have a princess!) I also made my Head aware early thaty our profile scores in writing were likely to be low especially as 15 of these boys are summer born and therefore only with us since Easter.

S

Boy heavy here too about 2 thirds are boys. I always prefered it that way, I was never into the girl stuff, dressing and undressing dolls is the worst thing I can thing of, much rather race cars and shoot people!

I was never into the girl stuff, dressing and undressing dolls is the worst thing I can thing of, much rather race cars and shoot people!

Oh Rea I am shocked at such blatant sexism! :o

When I joined my setting seven years ago boys were heavily outnumbered by girls. It nearly got to the stage where we were almost offering to pay people to send their boys to us! Now we are also boy-dominated, to the point that yesterday, when we did our daily sum showing how many boys and girls there were (7 and 2 respectively) one little lad said sadly "just not enough girls". xD

Maz

This term and next term our numbers are about equal. We find that boys play in the homecorner a lot but in a different way to the girls.

Since we have been takingyounger children we find that parents of boys want them to start when they are just 2..Most boys only come in the morning untill they are 3.5 because they sleep in the afternoon whereas girls start between 2.5 and 3 years and are easily able to stay for extended sessions.

Boy heavy here too about 2 thirds are boys. I always prefered it that way, I was never into the girl stuff, dressing and undressing dolls is the worst thing I can thing of, much rather race cars and shoot people!

Ha ha this reminds me of something unexpected which happened to me this year. I have a pretty evenly split class, but we did Cinderella as our topic one half term with a castle role play and stuff about knights and Princes for the boys. Some of the boys (unexpected ones!) loved putting on the Princess dresses and for my toughest, roughest boy there was nothing he liked better than retelling the story of Cinderella using the puppets, it completely captured his imagination!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)