Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Or Playgroup

we are a playgroup so most of our parents dont work or manage to fit in work around hours. children can attend 9-3 or do just morning.

Parent complained that she had to take time off work to come to xmas play. she cant come to leavers photos because of work and she had too little notice. If i send out letters too far in advance they forget. we have sports day coming up during session time so want to be prepared. Do i change time to fit in around this one person or go ahead with original plan that no one else has complained about. two years ago we let children stay after sports day and we had so many children crying because their parents had gone home we changed it to parents taking them home after it had finished. We are only looking at 45 mins or 1hr and 45mins if they stay for lunch.

I think this parent needs a nursery not a playgroup

much appreciate your thoughts

buttercup

I would stick with what you do, after all once the child starts school she'll have the same problem.

It is difficult - you could ask if it's easier on a certain day, or ask if a relative can attend instead (maybe dad?).

We're the same as you, and I can bet that a every event at least one child has 'no one to watch them' for some reason or other.

We send a newsletter out every month with all dates on each time just as reminders of upcoming events - but we still have the 'oh I didn't knows'........grhhhhhhhhhh

xxx

when we have sports day we usually do it almost at the end of a session, asking children and parents who normally dont do a specific day to come and join in. Parents are informed via newsletter well in advanced, but we also have teacher2parent texting servicel to remind all parents off all events that are happening during the week, since doing this we have had more involvement from parents

when we have sports day we usually do it almost at the end of a session, asking children and parents who normally dont do a specific day to come and join in. Parents are informed via newsletter well in advanced, but we also have teacher2parent texting servicel to remind all parents off all events that are happening during the week, since doing this we have had more involvement from parents

teacher2parent is a texting service agency where you pay to subscribe yearly (unlimited texts). You just type in a message via your computer once and messages go out to all parents or individual parents. I swear by it, its fab and so easy.

Teacher2Parents website is here.

I wish I had enough parents to justify paying the minimum of £150/£215 per annum for this service. Looks good though: you type your message into your computer and it gets sent out to all your parents at a stroke!

Maz

I agree with the idea of notifying parents by text or email. As a parent, I've usually lost the newsletter before the date of the activity. I'd like to be notified of immenent events by text and get the newsletter by email so I know where the rotten thing is!

And, in my experience, if we can't fulfill a certain family's needs, then it's best to recommend alternatives.

Fe

Teacher2Parents website is here.

I wish I had enough parents to justify paying the minimum of £150/£215 per annum for this service. Looks good though: you type your message into your computer and it gets sent out to all your parents at a stroke!

Maz

i think this system is good in theory -but we have had problems when parents dont have a mobile or its switched off or no signal etc -its assumed all parents have got the message, but its often the case that a proportion havent.

We have a big chalk board that goes outside while they are waiting to come in, they literally can't miss it.

We also have reminders of dates in newsletter.

Edited by Guest

i have just introduced a white board which i put as parents arrive. this is the second week. i really am banging my head agains t a brick wall. photos for pre school children today one parent said did not know. went on newsletter out last week, seperate letter for pre school children, put it on my new white board and a big poster up in hallway.

What else can i do aaaarrrrggg!!!!!!!!

buttercup

i have just introduced a white board which i put as parents arrive. this is the second week. i really am banging my head agains t a brick wall. photos for pre school children today one parent said did not know. went on newsletter out last week, seperate letter for pre school children, put it on my new white board and a big poster up in hallway.

What else can i do aaaarrrrggg!!!!!!!!

buttercup

But buttercup, didn't you know we are supposed to be every parent's personal assistant and organise this stuff for them? :o

But seriously, we aim to tell the parents/other collecting adult what it says on each piece of paper we give them and remind them the day before. It does get through to more families than if we just hand out the letters... still not all though.

Parents are a night mare! We even have to phone up a certain parent each day their child attends, 15 mins before we

close, just to remind him to pick up his son!!!!!!!! (he forgot to collect him twice last term!!!!)

dottyp