Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spanish Week...help Needed!

Hi everyone, I'm new to FSF so I hope I am doing the right thing.

I have been finding that many children in my Reception class are struggling to achieve KUW 6 'Begins to know about own culture and beliefs and those of other people', and also the similar PSED ones.

As we have been learning Spanish recently, next week I am planning to have a 'Culture Week' focussing on Spain and I am struggling to think of different ideas. I have a few but could really do with a hand thinking of more activities please! :o

So far I've got... Making Sangria (using grape juice, orange juice and lemonade), learning Flamenco dancing, creating paper fans and comparing the Spanish day (looking at having a 2pm siesta)

All ideas will be much appreciated... Thank You xD

I think you also need to consider the wider meaning of "cultures and beliefs" in the context of 5 year olds- if you think of the term cultures to mean lifestyles then you can see that children are able to show appreciation of how they live their life compared to others and not necessarily in the sense of religion or ethnicity. Beliefs may mean belief in a particular football team (although that can be tantamount to religion I suppose!) or the tooth fairy for example

The example of a child comparing how they have to take their shoes of at their Gran's house but not at their own in the handbook demonstrates what I mean.

I've been moderating this in KUW/PSED this year and in conversation with many practitioners, once they start to think a bit more widely around this aspect they find they have more evidence than they at first considered.

Cx

My own Rec boy's class had Spanish week last week. One of the parents came in a gave a Spanish lesson. I had three boys from that class for tea (I'm CM) and they all demonstrated their knowledge. Just counting and Gracia. I also saw dressing up to Spanish music in the outdoor area, and their were printouts of typical Spanish things to colour and lots of discussion about food. First time I've noticed all these boys really engaged with a topic.

Yes, Catma, there are so many details that we need to keep an eye/ear at xD and they are so special!

Like in the USA... things like sitting in front of the TV on Thanksgiving Day while watching the Macy's Parade and then the football game. Later during Christmas, watching Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and The Nutcracker. So on, so on, so on :o

Thanks so much for all the ideas, they've been a great help. :o

if you think of the term cultures to mean lifestyles then you can see that children are able to show appreciation of how they live their life compared to others and not necessarily in the sense of religion or ethnicity

Thanks Catma, I think I need to take a step back and observe the children discussing the differences in their lives and how they respect one another for these differences. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)