Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Still In A Dilema With Shift Worker

Hiya -Still having fun with a family guy whom works shifts and after negotiating a higher fee ( found out he was getting help) he now thinks that he can pay a minimum of twelve hours a week and the hours have gone all over the place. tomorrow for eg He only needs me for one hour !! we are due to sit and discuss but although I have been flexible cant believe he is expecting his 9month old to follow his erractic work pattern. He did say today that his welfare is important (well of course !!) so I am hoping he will see the light and let his wifes work cover the expense ( not sure what she works) Have already looked after this child for 6weeks and have only just signed contracts where he expected me to work public holidays at normal rate !! have put him straight but it is my only work at present... this was yesterday

Today he will only agree a minimum of twelve hours a week (its not worded as such in the contract - the hours on the contract have changed from 17 - 12 and he has put in a one liner that says " hours and times may vary as agreed" He has since agreed to pay me extra for BH. Doesnt seem to get that he is paying for my availability not the hours I work !!

but I am only charging £4 ph- he wants out of term time too and any day could change at a moments notice- this he also says is because of his job. His wife works longer hours but he wont commit to a minimum per day ie three hours - basically he knows i havent any other work/ suggested at one point that anything could go on a contract ?!! (he obviously doesnt believe in them). So I dont know whether to call his bluff and give him his notice ( I know there is nobody else around here prepared to do what I am doing) or to see how it goes till something more appealing comes along. Ive told him I'll think about it and let him know. Last remark from him was " is £50 a week minimum enough money for you ?"!!! :mad:

In his defence if any he does let me know the following weeks rota but as I said before it is subject to change at a moments notice - what shall I do !

PS I explained that If i had a minimum hours per day I could book someone else in if they should come along - he said that I could do anyway as if it was a better deal he would do the SAME !! I very pointedly told him that we had a contract that stated a months notice and out of respect for him would honour that as I am treating him the same way I would want to be treated. !!! :o [/size]Your thoughts as to what to do !!?

PPS He reckons he isnt getting any help now either ( mmmh)

Edited by waveawand

Waveawand - he sounds a complete jerk. If you can find reasonably paid work doing something else until a better family come along I would ditch him, or next time he comes to negotiate, just have your area- co-ordinator (do you have those??) handy who can listen to his strange ideas!

Have to say I'm pre-school not childminder, but this man is just too needy

Eloquent as ever Panders! :o

Seriously........I completely agree.

Again, I'm pre-school, so possibly not qualified to comment.........the crux of the matter seems to me to be his lack of understanding with reference to 'availability as opposed to hours worked'.....one of my staff members is also a childminder and this is something she has struggled with with her clients too.......

Is he just 'chancing his arm' hoping that you will 'cave in' and allow him to re-write your contract/terms and conditions? I'm not sure that I would want to get involved with someone like him......

Probably not much help - sorry

Good luck with it all xD

I'd try and approach it from the idea that his son needs some consistency and routine in his life and how unsettling his erratic hours with you will be for him.

Also stick to your guns, if he needs you to be available at the drop of a hat he needs to pay you appropriately. Point out that he isn't going to get a better deal anywhere else if it comes down to it. In spite of the lack of work you should consider whether the hassle and stress is worth it.

Good luck, I hope he sees some sense!

Hi, i'm in a nursery so can't identify with you completely other than to say that I think you need a line in the contract that stipulates that you will be flexible when you can but also need to respond to the needs of other families (or better words to that effect) - because more will come along eventually. However, it could be difficult to take on your maximum registration because he is basically taking up a full time space...and could you really find another family to share this space on the 'opposite' of what he needs?

it's hard for you to see it any other way as he's your only customer but I've been taught to multiply everything up. For e.g one parent wants you to change their child out of pyjamas on a morning - seems an ok request but then multiply it up to your maximum registration - if all your parents want this to happen it would be difficult to manage. Hence we always say 'we will when we can and if it becomes busy/difficult to manage etc we'll get together and rethink it' Never had a problem because the parents feel you have met them 'halfway' but it also gives you a 'get out' clause too

I think you've already mentioned in your previous post that it would limit other experiences by having to be back home at a given time. Is his 12 hours of fees really worth the hassle? Think of the additional time in working out available sessions for future parents who may work shifts...you need more money for administration costs!

I can't imagine any other childminder putting up with this...call his bluff if the money isn't crucial to you.

Best of luck, I think this may be an ongoing headache!!

Me again...still thinking about this

In our daycare we charge by the session (between fixed times) and parents pay the fee for the session and come and go as they please within. Could this be another option to you? It may give you better scope for knowing what availability you have for future families.

We also have a minimum attendance for the consistency of the child - like Kariana said. Your life will be difficult dealing with a child that hasn't a hope to settle due to lack of consistency.

Remind him you are a professional not a babysitter! Grr, I don't envy you

Apologies if I'm on the wrong track as I'm not familiar with how childminders operate - it still tickles me cos we have to have two members of staff on duty at all times and to give medicine etc yet you guys operate on your own.

Waveawand - he sounds a complete jerk. If you can find reasonably paid work doing something else until a better family come along I would ditch him, or next time he comes to negotiate, just have your area- co-ordinator (do you have those??) handy who can listen to his strange ideas!

Not quite my thoughts but I cant really type those - thanks for the reply feeling really Urgh right now as came home from school run to find 'they' had found someone "Flexible !!!!!!" and thankyou so much for looking after Lo but we dont need you any more --Anyone got any good career options ? I hear even dog walking earns you ten pounds and hour !! Have to say its a mixture of sadness and relief ( Im such a softy re kids)

Thanks for your comments Panders - he's managed to find another willing victim...

xD What an A***!!!!

You've learned a harsh, but valuable, lesson waveawand - no matter how flexible and fair and devoted to their child you are, they still treat you like this :(

Put it down to experience and vow NEVER to be put in this position again. You negotiated a fair contract and behaved in a professional manner. Be glad you're out of it - believe me, it's FAR harder for you to give a parent notice :o

I know it's frustrating waiting for a client to appear but no amount of money is worth the grief this parent has caused you over the last couple of weeks!

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Nona X

Awww, you didn't need that. Unfortunately in these circumstances the children are the innocent 'victims' and always end up caught in the middle.

He obviously couldn't see a gift horse if it hoofed him and if he values money over the wellbeing of his child then he never deserved you in the first place.

Chalk it to experience like Nona said, I'm sure on his travels he'll eventually realise it doesn't work his way.

Nothing like that sort of c**p to put you off. My first were a bit like that. I find now that, with my own professional hat on, prospective parents less likely to try one on. Im a bit rushed, but my advice is to rack it up to experience, take the time to get your planning and paperwork and EYFS knowledge really sharp, go for a run and clean out all those cupboards (or come and do mine), and get out and get some better parents. It,s only now after nearly 4 years that my business is really viable, but boy, is it viable?!

God luck,

Fe

Thanks Fe - I will do what you've suggested to fill in the time, still smarting about it all but went and posted an ad in the local newsagent this am to make myself feel better ! Even though (on rereading the note) they complimented how well their child was looked after - cant understand the lack of guts to speak face to face. Mind you probably just as well cos I did blubber a bit yesterday - probably due to the amount of stress and anxiety it has caused. I have though done a disc of photos for the mum... what am I like I know but it is definitedly THERE LOSS and Im getting a normal whit break with just my kids !!!

Thanks Nona too for your comments - brought a tear to my eye again ! Really appreciate the friends Ive found here - feeling a bit out on a limb - so cheers !! Now where are those bin bags......! :o

definitedly THERE LOSS and Im getting a normal whit break with just my kids !!!

The perfect time to be out and about advertising your services xD

Get that Registered Childminder badge* on every time you leave the house and remember to carry cards with your contact details - those harrassed parents juggling annual leave to cover school holidays are your future clients!!

(* PM me if you haven't got one and I'll pop mine in the post for you to borrow :o )

Nona

Waveawand

Do you live near a childrens centre? If you do call in and see if they can help in promoting you to families.At my centre we have a file on public display with photo of childminder and some personal facts/contact details. We also offer free training to childminders so check and see if this is available in your area as well. As another post suggested get your paperwork sorted while you have the chance!! Good Luck ,Unsworth

Do you live near a childrens centre? If you do call in and see if they can help in promoting you to families.At my centre we have a file on public display with photo of childminder and some personal facts/contact details. We also offer free training to childminders so check and see if this is available in your area as well. As another post suggested get your paperwork sorted while you have the chance!! Good Luck ,Unsworth

Thanks for this we have one that has just opened so I will suggest the idea to them.

• 3 months later...
Att-a-Girl! Go for it!

Fe

Hi,

if he can't give you set days or set times i would say he is taking a full-time place up and would charge him for that full-time place.

He has to understand you cannot take anyone else on in the times/days that he is not using you as these differ from week to week.

You have to be firm, this is your business.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)