Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

World Cup

Have a boy heavy class and am thinking about doing some World cup activities after half term. Don't just want to focus of football element (unfair to girls and boys who aren't interested in football).

Initial thoughts are countries involved (choose a few to focus on) - where are they, pictures of place and people. Try some food from these countries - pizza from Italy, frankfurters from Germany, chilli from Mexico, etc. Look at flags and let children make their own. Try a few greetings in different languages. Design their own football strips. Mini football games and other team games. Exercising to keep healthy - like footballers! Listening to music from different countries, national anthems. Could lead to good maths activities - drawing numbers on the backs of football shirts, ordering the football shirts to make number lines, finding out which football shirt has got lost in the wash. Scores - how many goals has a team scored over two/three matches. How many more goals has one team scored than another. How many more goals will a team need to score to win etc. Thought this topic might help to cover the 'cultures' element of KU/PSED, in fact it should cover all areas of learning - but a bit light on CLL - especially writing!!

Any other ideas welcome :o

Edited by Guest

hi

What about making football banners(in various team colours)then get the children to talk about fair play/rules of behaviour/hand shake etc and ask them to write their own 'fair play' statement on the banner.unsworth

Thanks for the links - will have a look at these later. Have already looked at the Sunderland one which looks useful. There's also some links on tes website for anyone else planning on doing anything.

Ok - football sticker books have started appearing in the playground and boys asking for the football so guess this topic will go ahead. Just wondering what to do for role play area. Had thought about a travel agent so the children could book their travel, but Y1 do this so don't want to duplicate. Am wondering about a ticket office - but not sure how to get enough milage out of this. Will of course decorate it with flags/football banners etc as these get done. But I desperately need to get some writing in as my lot run a mile when it comes to doing any writing.

Initial thoughts - writing names on tickets. Writing names of teams to be seen. Prices on tickets for maths. Any more ideas of how to make this a bit more inspiring and exciting?

ooo i like it so much im going to shamelesly copy you x

could you make it into a bus/train/hot baloon so they can pretend to travel the world?

o or a football stadium, so you need to buy your football ticket, be stweard, sell food and drink etc? it would get your boys mark making i bet

We are doing a maths week in y1/2 which is to do with the UEFA champions league final. The planning took me an age!

We will be-

designing our own strip

ordering football related words in alphabetical order

playing number detective- (highlighting numbers on a league table)

Ordering shirt numbers

making footballs out of plastic bags

adding match results to a made up league table

football pitch in the sandtray

Blow football with straws and ping pong balls

how many goals can they score in a minute

football maths problems like "there are 11 players in the first team and 1o subs how many altogether?"

thats all I can think of for now. and thats for a low attaining year 2 and moderately attaining year 1 class.

Edited by Jester

OK - latest developments in our World Cup plans. Year 2 teacher says she's planning on doing something too so we're probably going to go whole of FS/KS1. When we come back to school after half term has ended the world cup will already have started, so we're thiking of having the last Friday of this half term as a WC prep - holding an 'official world cup draw'. We already have teams in each class so we're going to put all the names of the class teams into a cup, and the football team into another cup - then draw out class teams and a football team - the teams will then adopt their football team name and hopefully show an interest in them when they're playing. They'll then paint a big flag of their country which will be used to decorate our shared areas/classrooms and colour in smaller flags for themselves to take home. Then when we return to school we'll have an opening ceremony where children can parade their flags - possibly marching round to the National Anthems? (Don't know how quickly teams will have been eliminated - hopefully not before we return to school or it could be a bit of a damp squid :o )

My initial worry had been about writing opportunities in the role play area - not making it too much like the Y1 travel agents, but we have decided to let the children cut out some pictures of hotels and make their own South African holiday brochure - where they will be able to make up suitably hotelly names and include booking a hotel with their ticket - Special Price package tours - Hotel and ticket.

Starting to feel more inspired ... and I don't even like football.

Any more ideas gratefully recieved.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting on board with this theme! My boys especially are going to love it! Great ideas already posted! For a CLL writing opportunity what about writing a letter to the england team to wish them luck or ask them questions etc?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)