Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So What Sort Of Government Will We Have Now?

vickymck

Well I have supposed to have been finishing the last part of my DPP today but have spent most of the day watching the election. It has been realy interesting, talk of coalitions and deals. So it looks like we may have a conservative - lib dem combination. Anybody got any thoughts on what this will mean for early years? I think that both parties suggested a 'slimming down' of EYFS or that it was too prescriptive or did I dream that bit!

Also the Tories have refused to rule out allowing providers to charge 'top ups' for providing the 15 hour free entitlement. Lib Dems are also committed to providing funding for all two year olds when funding allows.

However Lib Dems said before the election campaign began that they wanted all leaders of early years settings to gain QTS. Still awaiting a response to my email to both Nick Clegg and their children and families spokesman about that one.

I agree it is fascinating - but I'm not sure how I feel about coalition government. I wonder if old party divisions will be able to be put aside in the interests of the needs of the nation. I also worry about the possibility of the opposition taking a virtual wrecking ball to the government's bills or just delaying them through sheer stubbornness.

I think that over the next couple of days people you have never heard of will assume a greater significance in public life than hitherto - especially if the Tories and LibDems fail to reach an agreement and Gordon Brown finds he needs to find friends within the 'Other' parties in order to form a majority government.

Great for an anorak like me though! :o

Maz

I find it all fascinating. Will they be able to work together or continue to act like boys in the playground? My dad's bigger than yours!

I read someone from the continent who wondered what all the fuss was about, she said a lot of countries have hung parliaments and get on ok, Germany for one and their economy is far better than ours.

I dont really care now though, I cast my vote and still ended up with a prime minister who came second! The whole electoral process should be looked at good and hard.

Yeah, I read that the Libs wanted to 'slim down the bureaucracy in the foundation stage' - That can only be good. Possibility tories will offer ministerial positions to Libs, if this is the case hope it is Education. Also the Rose report seems unlikely to go through now!! I'm watching with interest!!!

Apparently, only Greece, Malta and France have majority governments in the EU so we won't be different. Let's hope they all get their act together and look at what is best for the people who live in this country and not massage their own egos.

Linda

My worry is that 'slim down the EYFS' will mean 'change it all completely and make everyone have to re-do all their paperwork, etc.'

I would vote for any politician whose policies included: 'I will leave education alone for the next few years'!!

My fear at the moment is that they might take away those 15 hours that I am currently using as a basis for next year's finances.

My worry is that 'slim down the EYFS' will mean 'change it all completely and make everyone have to re-do all their paperwork, etc.'

Couldn't agree more! xD

It's taken me two years to get used to it! :o

Mind you it is and always has been up for 'review' this year :(

Aside from the impact on Early Years - what a completely fascinating time! :(

it actually is a bit disconcerting that the party which came 3rd , and did lose seats despite the original popularity contest, is beginning to dictate so much and seems to be in control.. or is it just me that sees it that way..

Inge

But this is the whole thrust of coalition Government isn't it? Its the idea that there is a balance of power, so that perhaps the extremist element of one party can be held in check by its smaller partner.

If you want the Government to be made up of the parties that gained the most seats, then it shold be Con/Lab and let's face it that is never going to happen.

It seems that the Lib Dems are going to play some part in the next Government, and who knows? They might even make a good fist of it! We shall have to wait and see.

Maz

it actually is a bit disconcerting that the party which came 3rd , and did lose seats despite the original popularity contest, is beginning to dictate so much and seems to be in control.. or is it just me that sees it that way..

Inge

Doesn't bother me - as half a million people voted BNP, I don't really trust the electorate to select a government

Doesn't bother me - as half a million people voted BNP, I don't really trust the electorate to select a government

What's that old saying that we get the government we deserve?

Maz

Its really interesting that in 2007 the rebranding cost thousands, I guess it will cost a few more now, it just seems really petty, I liked the fact the DCSF, included schools, children and families, whereas the Department for Education just sounds really cold, buts whats in a name...we will have to wait and see.

My thought too. As much as we may complain about money being wasted on these sorts of things, this is only exacerbated if it is completely scrapped. That sort of thing makes a mockery of all the talk about cutting back on waste!

The first job of a new administration is to rename all the departments. This means the link between old and new is broken so they can't be compared so easily!