Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Training

Hi all

Not soemthing i am familar with as a worker but how do you get satff to do training eg first aid, safeguarding?

As member of committeei have been told that the staff are not keen on going in their own time even if they get paid for it! However, it is necessary for the setting that this is done.Where do we stand if they refuse? I am really hoping it does not come down to this of course!

We pay staff to attend training if it's in their own time, if it's in work time they are paid for those hours anyway. We use the training budget then to pay for their cover.

we ask at interview if they are willing to do training, they always say yes

stress if is also for personal developement

they are supposed to do up to 20 hours per year, not including first aid etc. curriculum based to keep up to date so they have to

it is also in my lots contracts

i dont have a prob with it though, always ask them what courses they want to do and see what i can do, all seem to want to do first aid anyway

we pay them and pay mileage. so getting paid is good, lots of places dont pay the hours for it.

it is hard if they are against it, i would ask why and ask if they are in right job, personal development big thing at mo

Assuming there is something in thier contract that states they have to ensure that they keep up with regular training/CPD/updates they are not in a position to refuse. It does involve some give and take , so if they are training in thier own time then a payment or time off in luie would be fair,if the courses are in work time then they have no arguement, there are online courses in safeguarding they could do if they would prefer - and get some time back for that when they provide evidence of completion. Another option is having whole setting training - maybe a closure/INSET in which you can cover some of the training gaps. Every setting has to have staff who have completed these courses to comply with OFSTED so basically it's no training no setting , no job if they continue to refuse.

we also had it in our contacts and was part of our job description to keep up to date.

Think the need to explain that if they don't do the training you will have to close as you will be in breach of your registration requirements may cause a bit of understanding as to why..

I would ensure with any new staff it is written onto contract that they must do first aid and safeguarding training as soon as possible and any others you feel appropriate and that they must be kept up to date as a condition of continued employment..

I must admit to never having any need to push staff to do training, even when unpaid as it was understood it was also for their own professional development as well..

Inge

Guest jenpercy

OFSTED expect to know why everyone hasn't done safeguarding, and it will be an action if less than half haven't done it. If no one, you will be inadequate with a re-inspection 6 months to a year later.

They are also interested in how many staff have food hygiene, as well as first aid, although provided you have Health & safety Officer with responsibility for hygiene they won't be worried if it isn't everyone.

All 3 of these qualifications need to be renewed every 3 years.

They are so lucky to get paid to train!

It should be in their job contracts - if it isn't get it in there fast. You have to consult them about changes tp contract, but if you have a valid business reason to change, you can bring in the chanes after the number of weeks that the longest serving member has worked in years (max 12)

We pay staff to attend training if it's in their own time, if it's in work time they are paid for those hours anyway. We use the training budget then to pay for their cover.

This is how it works for us too.........

I have never had a problem with this - my staff accept that this is part of their job and also understand that this is CPD - we discuss our training needs and interests at staff meetings - these are recorded and we attempt to get in as much training as possible! :o

It often works that one of us will attend a training day and come back absolutely enthused and inspired which then makes others really interested! xD

Actually, I imagine that most jobs require some element of training and skills update.

They really should find training useful and inspirational.

Is it the 'in their own time' bit that's the problem? If it is, then arrange cover for a session and get them to do it during session time if at all possible. Then they can hardly refuse.

It is in our job descriptions, asked at interview and also in contracts so we have covered all bases!