Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiring Quotes

emmajess

I was looking through some old EYE mgazines last night and I saw this quote from Barbara Hepworth, the sculptor:

'Perhaps what one wants to say is formed in childhood and the rest of one's life is spent in trying to say it.'

It got me to thinking it would be great to have a collection of all those great quotes -all the ones about the importance of play and of childhood and the outdoors and parents and, and, and... :o

I know some people have got some great quotes on here anyway as their signature thing when they post.

Just wondered what quotes really inspire your practice? Theorists, artists - I'm sure Einstein had some good ones!

Think of it as a mini bank holiday challenge!

x

this is a dress-up box for the future & it's filled with stuff like courage & love & play because they're the only things that are any use at all when you get right down to it. (storypeople.com)

If there is any secret to this life I live, this is it: the sound of what cannot be seen sings within everything that can. & there is nothing more to it than that. (Storypeople.com)

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

One of my tutors sent this to me, I think it's especially true in our work environments :o

Ex-leader laminated several different quotes which we tacked to the walls- for staff and parents. My favourites were the Einstein quote:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Even a genuis like Einstein recognised that knowledge is limited but imagination opens your eyes to all kinds of wonders...

and also Margaret Macmillan, which I love and often makes me feel a little better about our awfully decorated, dated village hall!

the best classroom and the richest cupboard is roofed only by the sky

there are all sorts of other fantastic quotes but my memory is apalling so can't think of any more to add sorry, looking forward to reading other replies

Be the change you want to see in the world (Ghandi)

"THERE ARE TWO THINGS CHILDREN SHOULD GET: ROOTS AND WINGS."

(JWGoethe)

My husband has this quote at the end of his emails:-

Divine Wisdom is knowing everything. Human Wisdom is knowing your limitations.”

(Socrates 470 – 399BC)

Nicky Sussex

My favourite poem....

A child is........

A butterfly in the wind,

Some can fly higher than others;

but each one flies the best it can.

Why compare one against the other?

Each one is different!

Each one is special!

Each one is beautiful!

Author Unknown.

Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed - Maria Montessori

Clearly she never had to deal with getting my younger daughter dressed in the mornings! I am all for independence, but I am not sure about allowing 2 year olds out wearing nothing but a pair of pants with both legs through one hole.

"I'm afraid that's not high on my list of priorities for today" ex-headteacher

"My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go" Oscar Wilde on his death bed

I use both to deal with trivial matters or things that bother others but should be allowed to carry on like the chairman of governors objecting to telling nursery children run around on a windy day with ribbons incase they strangle themselves.