Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Taking Children To The Toilet

titchy

Our toilets are seperate from the setting itself as we are based in a community centre (a pack away setting). Is everyone using 2 members of staff to take the children to the toilet now as a safeguarding procedure I mean? What about nappy changing?

No - absolutely not - my staff are CRB checked or for me and my deputy good old fashioned Police Checks........

Feel strongly that this is complete 'overkill' and more importantly - going to the loo or having your nappy changed is not a 'spectator sport'!

Our toilets are really close to the room but it is still impossible for two staff to be present if we need to change a child...we change try to children so that someone could see us....with one staff member outside one in the classroom and one in the toilet how can we do it......also if you are to respect a childs privacy it is difficult to police a '2 person' change....common sense prevails as always. I agree it is a private thing and we are trusted to work with children bond good relationships with our key children..... :o

Edited by Guest

There's nothing to stop two members of staff colluding to abuse a child whilst nappy changing, although it's not a subject we'd care to consider. So what then, three members of staff needed to check on the two, four for the three ..........?

As Sunnyday says, that's what the CRB check, and the new check is meant to be for.

Very interested in this topic as we were discussing it this week in Pre-School. We are a pack away setting as well in a community centre and the toilets are well away from the main room. We decided to keep our policy of one CRB checked person to take children to the toilet as we basically do not have enough staff to do it any other way. So glad you all feel the same.

We do however, use walkie talkies- one in toilet and one in main room - to communicate if help is needed.

xD:o

Ruth

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what i thought, whats the point in crbs if 2 are expected 2 go and you we just don't have enough staff either. Walkin talkies I like that idea, think i mite have to get myself a pair.

our play area is not attached to the building and a bit of a walk away - our policy was to all return to the setting if a child needed to go to the loo! :o ofsted said" do you not trust your staff - i said i did - all crb checked and worked for me for ages - she said ok then no need for more than one to go back - she also said it was okto wee in the bushes!! xD

Our toilets are down a long corridor and into the body of the secondary school where we are based.We have one staff member go with max of 2 children.

We are pack away too one staff meber for loo duty but we do have walkie talkies so staff can call someone in if needed. Friday this was the case 'Child really upset needed and number 2 and couldn't go' Staff member felt she needed help from child's key person, it worked calmed child down and spoke to mum at end. Staff member kept saying sorry to me but I said it was just the right thing to do as it not only protected the child it protected the adult!!!

As stated already COMMON SENSE its fantastic :o

And we wee in bushed as we are out in woods a lot, not poop scoop so far not needed that one xD fingers crossed it will happen next week now.

When in woods we do have 2 staff when a nappy is changed but its for ease more than anything else to ensure child is ok as its a different experience for them

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)