Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Saturday Childminding

Hi, I am due to start a new job soon. Unfortunately I will be taking a cut in hours and have been trying to find a job that will fit in with this new job and my life in general.

I am considering registering as a childminder and working staurdays only.

I just wondered whether in your experience there is much call for saturday childminders?

Im in norfolk but looking for some general advice/feedback really?

All thoughts greatfully received

Jo

Well I would imagine it would be useful if you needed to go shopping without the hassle of taking your children with you, but whether that's financially sensible I don't know. For people who work, Saturdays would be one of the few times they'd be with their children, and they may not want to lose that.

I think you'd need to consider EYFS paperwork, if a child attended a Nursery, after school club and perhaps has a weekly childminder too - that's an awful lot of connections you'd need to be part of.

I don't know, I genuinely don't. I know there were times when it would have been useful to me when my children were small - especially when I was Christmas shopping for them!!!

I am not sure there would be enough demand for it - I have only had one enquiry in 3 1/2 years.

Also, it is a lot of hassle to go through for one day a week. Depending where you are, you may have to fund your initial course yourself, which could be £250, PFA of £100 if yours isn't current, £30 Ofsted fees, maybe safety equipment to get your house safe....

The best thing might be to talk to local Cms and local parents to see if it is feasib;e.

Are there any hospitals, etc near you which have a large number of people who work shifts? If so you may find that single parents are keen to use such a service. You could contact their personnel dept to test the waters.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Hi Westie,

I've been minding for 12+ years and have NEVER had an enquiry for Saturday childminding. I think people use family/friends if they need childcare at the weekends.

Also, as lolo says, it could take you quite some time to recoup the costs involved in registering!

Your local FIS may be able to advise you whether they get any parents looking for the service you are considering offering.

Good Luck,

Nona

Hi

Do some research, leave some information at your local police, fire, hospial, with your health visitor. All these people often work shifts and unsocialbe hours.

I worked for a nurse/air hostess who left the children with me nights/weekends and sometimes for a week or 2. Also worked for a stunt women who was out of town quite a lot.

I spent money to advertise in my local paper - and lucky for me accumulated some good weekend business, but thats a gamble.

I wish you luck

oooh just thought

Also your local authority may be looking for foster carers who can offer weekend respite care. My council are looking at registered childminders to provide this. Talk to your councils fostering team to see what the options are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)