Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lack Of Involvement From Parents

I think the PSLA gives a limit of 7 years!! laugh.gif

7 years - you wish! I think it is 10 at the moment but seems to increase every time my other half tries to step down from his role!

On another note I think what I am most concerned about is the ability of settings to offer a professional service when they are managed by a voluntary committee, the majority of whom, no matter how well meaning and committed, don't have the understanding the EYFS and the current system requires. I use the word "professional" as that is clearly what settings are being pushed to provide with the upskilling of the workforce, etc. Despite our Chair being my other half and our other officers being "professional" in their fields, and another member of the committee being a teacher I would hesitate to have them present at inspections and feedback as I don't believe they fully understand what we do. That is not because we don't try to educate them about it but because they are experts in their own fields and, comfortingly, consider us to be so too. They are happy to leave us to it as fellow professionals, which is good for us but possibly not good for committee run settings in general.

I have had the dubious pleasure of managing a committee run group and now am the owner of my own setting. Pre funding and the DLOS, CGFS and EYFS getting parents involved was never a huge issue, however as the sector has become more professional and the government and legislative demands have become more onerous many "lay" people are frightened off. Then you can add into that mix safegarding and child protection concerns that people have about young children's vulnerability if you get my drift plus a lot of other stuff. It is a malady of society today that very few people are willing to give something precious - their time - for no financial gain and as lots of others have said parents have lots of competing commitments. When I was running a committee run outfit it all started off well but after a few years people left posts and it was next to impossible to fill them. Now I am private and amassing this huge PROFIT thing (whatever that may be :o ) I am at least not worried about who is going to do what - IT'S ME!! xD

It was the same when I was a school govenor - as more and more responsibility was heaped on to people (who were after all doing it for nothing) it became harder and harder to fill govenor vacancies.

Its not just a parent thing either - I can still remember getting about £2 for a 3 hour session as can one or two of my staff team and when that was the case everyone got on with the cutting out, the washing of dressing up clothes and kit cleaning and never thought to ask for any extra dosh but as pay and conditions have improved and holiday entitlement has increased I sometimes feel that some staff (not all I hasten to add) are also less inclined to give anything much of their time over and above what they are paid to do and almost never volunteer for anything!