Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Controlling Their Children!

I have just saved one of our preschoolers from running under a car!!

She was at the local school where I was collecting my own daughter, when this little 3 year old ran straight out of the side gate and was only stopped from charging straight into the road by me running up behind her and the headmaster fielding her off from the front.

And then mum ambled round the corner, not concerned at all.

It seems to me that more and more parents seem to think it is fine to let their young children run on ahead both inside the school grounds and outside on the pavement. Half our parents also seem to let their children run up to the classrooms and bang on the windows with no consideration for the poor teachers in side.

Mind you I probably did make myself look good to the headmaster and we are in the process of trying to move into the school.

Every cloud has a silver lining eh!

Yes no wonder we have to risk assess outings even if parents do come along as well - when there are obviously some who can't be bothered to keep their children safe.

Well done you, you've earned your brownie points today!

I'm always (and I shouldn't be by now) amazed at how children's behaviour deteriorates when their Mum or whoever arrives on the scene. Children who would normally (for us) do as they were asked immediately without question turn into a different character altogether, climbing on walls and standing on furniture and sticking their tongues out etc. They look at us sometimes as if to say "Well, Mum's here - what are YOU going to do about it - tell me off in front of her?" (we sometimes do too - and the Mums say something along the lines of, "I wish she'd do that for me!") and I do sometimes find myself thinking, "So who's in charge in your house then?"

I agree completely with that. We are in the midst of those few days when you think why did we let them have a a holiday when half of them come back with all the bad habits that we managed to get out of them through last half term!

I agree completely with that. We are in the midst of those few days when you think why did we let them have a a holiday when half of them come back with all the bad habits that we managed to get out of them through last half term!

xD:( :( Oh how I recognise and empathise with that sentiment!

As for the child who nearly got run over :o have seen this sort of thing sooo many times - I don't know what the answer is........

We were on a beach once, many moons ago and I literally saved a little boy from drowning - then had to try and find his parents - they were a good 100 yards away from him and had no idea what had happened - grrrrr

were they even grateful, or did they just very gently chide him for being silly and 'upsetting this nice young lady'?

Well........they were very cross with him........thing is though.........what the jolly goodness were they doing letting him get so far away from them in the first place - should have said he was only about 2 years old.....they were blissfully unaware until I carried him back to them that they had very nearly lost their son :o

Mind you I'm not perfect - we managed to 'misplace' our eldest when he was about 6 - we were at Cricket St. Thomas (they filmed To the Manor Born there) anyway we stopped for a picnic - one minute he was there and next he was gone xD he had apparently decided to follow the signs for the elephants (or was it camels?) because he knew that was where we were going next - the most heart stopping 10 minutes of my life while he was missing..........

xD Oh this is SO familiar!!!!

In my years on the school runs I've rounded up......

children who have run off the playground and headed along the alleyway without parents

those still on the playground while Mum has headed for the car chatting to friends and "forgotten" her child

a 2 year old who'd wandered out of the school gate and down towards the road while Mum chatted on the playground before school

and a 3 year old, left "asleep" in the car on the carpark down the hill (out of sight of the school) He'd woken up and let himself out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and, having learned the hard way, with children bouncing on the furniture etc and breaking all the "house rules" when Mum/Dad arrives, I now include a handover chat in my discussions with parents when their children start :o

Nona

Edited by Guest