Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why Oh Why Do They Do It?!

sunnyday

So.......have to share this with people who will understand!

Have just bumped into a parent and her children.........oldest will start primary school in September.......

She said "oh tell xxxxx what we have been doing this morning"

Turns out H has a new bed and also a desk.......wait for it and I quote "ready for all that scary big school stuff"......all said in earshot of H who proceeded to look extremely worried :o

What makes this even worse is this this very misguided mummy is/was a teacher herself.........I give in (that's official)

Poor child. They've now got to get through the whole of this term and the summer hols and will be getting more and more worried. I can't believe that the parent used to be a teacher. As for the need for a 4 / 5 year old to have a desk!?!?!?!

Also poor teacher who gets the child and the parent. There'll be loads of tears no doubt instead of eager anticipation and the parent sounds like they may be one of those who wonders why their child isn't getting any homework to sit at their shiny new desk to do!!

Thanks Laila..........she is such a lovely person, but does have a habit of saying the 'silliest' things.........I wonder if she has now realised what she said?

I tried very hard to just change the subject and talk about Easter..........

Perhaps this parent's comments are an indication of her own deep anxieties about her child going to school, and isn't it a good indication that no matter how well informed we are and otherwise professional in our roles sometimes we react the same way as any other parent when it comes to our own children.

It sounds like your support and understanding is going to be needed very much next term, sunnyday!

Maz

Perhaps this parent's comments are an indication of her own deep anxieties about her child going to school, and isn't it a good indication that no matter how well informed we are and otherwise professional in our roles sometimes we react the same way as any other parent when it comes to our own children.

It sounds like your support and understanding is going to be needed very much next term, sunnyday!

Maz

Absolutely Maz!

Have already had to speak (very gently) to another mum....her little girl has suddenly become quite 'wobbly' ( a technical term there! xD ) I asked her if they were talking about 'Big school' a lot - her reply......... "Oh yes we are always telling her, you're a big girl now, you won't be able to do that at big school" :o

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Edited by sunnyday

I'm just doing a leaflet for parents all about how we do things at nursery and what they can do to support us (no designer labels for painting in, you know the kind of thing!) and I'm thinking that maybe I should do one about the transition to 'big school' which would include how scary that phrase can be for very small children.

Thanks sunnyday for adding to my 'to do' list... :o

Maz

PS Have actually used the "you won't be able to do that at school" tactic myself in the past. Makes me wince when I think back! xD

and I'm thinking that maybe I should do one about the transition to 'big school' which would include how scary that phrase can be for very small children.

Maz

PS Have actually used the "you won't be able to do that at school" tactic myself in the past. Makes me wince when I think back! :(

I think that's a great idea - care to share when it's done?! Please, oh pretty please..... :o

Oh and I would be the first to say that I probably would not have won many 'Parent of the Year' awards.......did try hard not to frighten the life out of them though! xD

Edited by sunnyday

Thats a fab idea. I might start working on something. I'm thinking of a format whereby I publish things I have said, or heard said and then follow it up with a why this is a bad/good thing to say. Do's and Donts xD

Just one more job on my list too :o

I absolutely hate the term "Big School" it's so unnecessarily worrying for children. We generally refer to it in terms of the previous years' children, so it's "Abigail's new school" or whatever, with "Abigail's teacher" or whatever. This seems to engender the feeling that Abigail will be there to make sure they're ok, and there'll be someone there that they know.

I had one child this year who'd been told she was "going to big school when she's 4" and as the time grew close to her 4th birthday in February she started to become almost hysterical, poor thing!!