Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stress / Depression

As an after thought, I too am part time. A while ago I was in an extremely stressful position in a different job. This was a full-time post, which I resigned from with no job to go to, the position having become, basically, completely untenable and the nearest I have ever been to a breakdown. It was really a matter of appallingly bad management, compounded by my being in a very senior position and completely ignored on matters of basic health and Safety.

Current position is the complete antithesis, part-time and respect! So, yes i have been in this position in the past, but it wasn't the job, per se, which caused it!

Any help?

Sue :o

Thanks Sue R and others,

as an interim look, it appears some patterns are emerging especially the difference between full time & part time workers.

Keep your replies coming.

Thanks Peggy :D

Just found this thread- not been online for a few days... (accreditiation paperwork overload)

no to all Peggy and I can say the same for all 5 of my staff, we have a lot of laughter and the children even look at us a bit stangely because of our behaviur during the sessions, it helps. Also all staff are treated equally. We all do all jobs and know everyone else well.. often together outside work too. we all are aware of everyones strenghts and weaknesses and work together to build on them. sounds corny but we have a strong workforce at the moment, all level 3 and looking ahead. we all work partime 24 hours a week is the minimum anyone works and 30 the maximum apart from me, I work 32 hours a week, (paid for additional paperwork) is that still part time? Just I suppose.

we are all busy, but not stressed, or depressed. Could be very different without the support of eachother and a committee who actually listen to us.

Inge

No to all the questions Peggy.

I own a 90 place day nursery, employ 28 staff and work 7am ~7pm most days (what do you mean this forum isn't classed as 'work' :o )

I think my best work occurs when i am working 'under pressure', i need to feel challenged all the time xD

This morning 5 staff called in sick with complaints ranging from stomach pains to sore throats - last week one took two days off for a stubbed toe :wacko: - i wish i could be more supportive of these staff, maybe they do have under lying problems but i feel they have no problem with letting the team down and expecting everyone else to start early and finish later to cover their shift and i feel it is these staff that need my attention and praise to ensure they continue to support me.

I would like to ask my staff your questions, but sadly i think they may think 'you can have time off for stress / depression ? Thats a new a excuse for next sickie xD

Sorry to be down and negative, i've had a stressful day :(:(:(

like most of you, my answers would also be NO.

i have not had this problem myself, but in the past 8 years i have seen staff in my setting who have. at one time, i was the only staff out of 6 of us who was not taking anti-depressives.

i do think it can be a very stressful job, not only for managers and leaders, but the expectations of all staff in a preschool setting is now so great i can understand why practitioners suffer from it.

Please don't think that everyone who says they are stressed is throwing a sickie...real stress/depression is a scary and lonely place to be and I for one never want to go back there and it is a bit upsetting to hear it spoken of as a scam to have a day off work. :o I suppose I am very sensitive to this, it's only a year since I actually started to feel like MYSELF again. The final "burn out"was a long time coming, but looking back all the signs were there. If only someone who managed me had looked and seen. There are people who take the mickey, using stress as a reason. Proper sickness policies and reviews and referrals to occupational can be used to deter this type of behaviorI think. My real problem was that I just kept on going: never had day off. So noone noticed anything until it was just too late.

xD

Thank you for sharing your experience with us Catma, my past experience of depression is similar to yours. I am pleased for you that you have come through it.

Your point about sickness policies and referral to occupational is very valid and one reason why I did this questionairre, to learn ways in which to support staff who may have or are heading toward this debilitating illness.

There are many scenario's of "work" related stress, the 2 staff I have off work at present have experienced stress, which has led to depression, because of external home life factors.

Peggy

Oh Rea, I can't open it, :o but you still deserve a DRUM ROLL, :) it's me who hasn't got whaetever programme you use. xD

STEVE HELP...Can you transfer Rea's attachments to word please :)

Peggy

Catma

I couldn't agree with you more when you say

"real stress/depression is a scary and lonely place to be and I for one never want to go back there"

and that was the point I was trying to make. I have watched a family member suffering from depression try to take their own life on several occassions and watched as their life has fallen apart due to this most difficult of illnesses to understand, treat and even diagnose. That is probably why I get a bit sensitive when people use the phrase 'Oh I'm really depressed' when they are just having a bad day. Watching and trying to support someone with real depression is a hard place to be in, only being the sufferer is harder.

I hope things are going well for you now :)

Sue

Thanks everyone,

tomorrow-Friday, last chance to post any more yes/no answers and comments and I shall evaluate my findings over the weekend.

Peggy

Thanks Sue, I wasn't referring to your post directly, just the sense of frustration I remember feeling when noone took my concerns or feelings seriously enough to validate the fact that I was actually Ill. Reading the posts made me feel very sensitive about it again!

How different the world is now :D:D:D

I really feel for you Diane, as I think that being consatnatly interrupted is a major cause of stress. In our setting, we have one person 'managing' the room and another managing outside. They are responsible for snacks (we have a snack bar system), toliets, accidents, aprons, coats, shoelaces, arguments... and playing and talking with children! This leaves anyone doing a focus activity or an observation to get on with it. If necessary they say 'Go and ask Mrs X, she's room manager today'.

Obviously, supportive management, enough resources, a safe environmet and plenty of chocolate are pretty crucial too :o