Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Replies

hi can i just ask a little advice, near enough every time i have posted on the forum for advice I have had 0 if not many replies. Every body else seems to get hundreds i dont understand what i am doing wrong.

any ideas?

thanks kate

I shouldn't think you are doing anything wrong Kate - just that some topics get people more active than others - take Suzie's on drinking squash - that one took off like a rocket!

It may be that answers to the questions you have asked can be found by making a search of the forum search facility at the top of the page, just by putting in a few relavant words often brings up so much info on different threads from the past, but nobody tells you that!!

If you are putting your question in the wrong forum area I am sure one of the moderators will move it - so that can't be the problem, I would just keep posting I'm sure you will be successful at some point!

sorry you have felt neglected...

occasionally it can just be way a post it phrased as to how may people reply..

the detail given to begin with...of not enough it is hard to comment.. if very specific it gets left for those 'in the know'

I no longer work on EY but do often give my twopenneth when I can or feel it is useful or make people think in a different way..

dont give up.. keep posting.. we will all try to do better...

Inge

I wouldn't worry katiepotatie - there are many reasons why people read a threat but don't respond. And I'm sure none of these reasons would be aimed at you personally.

Speaking for myself, I rarely respond to the "I'm doing this topic and what can I do?" threads because I don't do topics and so have got out of the habit of trying to think up activities in this way. Sometimes a reply needs a bit of deep thinking and inevitably by the time I've done that the topic has moved on and my intended response is no longer valid. Sometimes I just don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said and I don't want to be continually posting "I agree with..." because that doesn't add to the discussion. Sometimes as Panders says, someone will post a reply suggesting the OP does a Forum search, so it might be that a particular topic has been discussed a lot lately and there seems little more to say.

Finally, I see that you've been a member since 2008 but have only posted 49 times (not counting things in the Lounge, I guess). So you'll have read a fair few posts in your time but not responded. I wouldn't take it too much to heart, katiepotatie - just carry on as you are! :o

Maz

You make me feel very guilty! I read the posts almost daily and rarely respond. I expect many people are the same - unless they have something really different to add they don't reply. I do find this site so informative and reassuring.

Sorry and thanks to everyone who posts questions and answers,

Sharky.

I agree with the others that some threads get a few responses and some take off. I think it is the same for everyone. Actually if you want to check out your topics click on your name and a box drops down. Click on 'Find Members Topics' and you will see how many replies you have to each and how many views.

Haven't read your other post, as I think I saw it in reception so it isn't always directly relevant to me, but I shall wander over there now and see if I can contribute :-)

Don't take it personally though, I have spent many a year on forums now to learn that it just takes time to settle in and usually find your answers from other posts and then without realising it become a regular poster with your feet firmly under the table xxxx

Hi Katie, sorry you are feeling this way. However, I am slightly confused as looking back on the threads you have started you have had replies to all of them, even if there have only been one or two replies. You don't seem to have responded to the replies that you have got though on many occasions so perhaps you didn't realise you had replies?

That's a good point Beau. Katie, are you getting email notifications of replies to your posts? If not, it means that you've set your email preferences to not receive emails from the FSF. This may be why you're not aware that you've had some replies! :o If you need instructions for how to change this, please just give us a shout!

I too am sorry you feel this way and am also sure you are not doing anything wrong. I just wanted to say how useful I find the site. I read lots but don't always post - sometimes because I am in a hurry, sometimes I have nothing to add and sometimes I don't get onto the forum for a few days and feel the topic has become 'old hat' by that time.

Please continue to keep posting though - even threads with only a few replies can contain the answer to something little but significant that I have wanted to know.

Gruffalo2 :o

Hi

Just for information as it may be as Helen suggested you are not getting email notifications that a reply has been made.

You might find it useful to receive an email notification of new topics as well. You can do this by clicking the ‘Options’ button (above and to the right of the message you’re reading now), then selecting the ‘Subscribe to this forum’ option – you can then choose how you’d like to be informed of new posts (in most instances ‘immediate email notification’ is the best option). In order for this to work properly you need to have selected the appropriate email settings in your ‘My Controls’ page:

• Go to ‘My Controls’ (click the ‘My Controls’ link on the green bar towards the top of this page)

• Under the ‘Options’ tab on the left hand side menu you’ll find ‘Email Settings’, click that link

• Make sure the box marked ‘Send me any updates sent by the board administrator’ is checked

• Check the box ‘Enable Email Notification by default?’ and select ‘Immediate Email Notification’ from the drop down list

• Click the button ‘Amend my email settings’

That’s it – you should receive an FSF notification any time a new topic is posted here (and you can follow the same procedure elsewhere to receive notification in other forum areas).

I is nice to respond when people do reply to a question you have asked....it is easier to do this if you know they have by using the email notification system.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

thank you everyone for replying i have only now been able to get on internet had problems with my laptop. I appreciate all of your replies. Some have said about email notifications and no i havent been getting email notifications so i think i will have to try and set it up. I do find this site extremely useful and i always come on here and search for help because everyones experience is extremely useful. However i do find that when ever i post something on here asking for help with certain interests that im planning for loads of people view my post but not many reply. I know not everyone will reply to all posts because yes like myself i dont reply to all posts and i suppose you only reply to those where your experience lies. But i will keep posting and see how i get one.

thanks to everyone for your help

kate :o

sometimes the number of views can be misleading...

it increases for every time it is viewed BUT that can be the same person several times, and when you go to see replies it is included etc..

It is not 'different' people ..

this is why some threads look like they have had loads off views and others less... same people keep returning to read it .. if some return every time someone has added it increases dramatically.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)