Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book For Children Aged 7-8

I know this is a forum for early years education, but there's so much great knowledge out there that I wondered if anyone could help me with something related to slightly older children. I'm looking for a book that I can share with some year 3 children over several weeks.

I'll be reading it to them mostly so it doesn't have to be something they can read themselves, it just has to be suitable for the age range and something they'll be able to 'get their teeth into' so to speak in terms of empathising with the characters, enjoying the book, solving the problems in it etc.

The only thing is I need it to be a book that doesn't take place "in real life" so to speak, a book set in an alternative world would be best, something a bit fantastical (I keep thinking of that Philip Pullman book about the scarecrow, but I'm thinking that's for slightly older children) or alternatively a good old fashioned adventure in the style of Enid Blyton books would be okay :o

ThaI know the lovely people on here must have come across some great books suitable fore this age group. Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Edited by Guest

though you said it yourself - The Wishing Chair - or the Faraway Tree?

Great because the chapters are kind of 'self-contained' so if children are away they won't loose track of the story..

My daughter is 7 and loves them!

I love the suggestions so far and also these,

The Iron Man

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Wind in the Willows.

Alice in Wonderland

Tom’s Midnight Garden

Skellig

MM, love thinking about books for different children.

What about Beaver Towers? Scarey and funny too.

I use 'Reading Zone' website. Has loads of ideas by independant website. Some of our Y5 children entered and won a comp to go and be secret agents for a day in London.

Going to be brave and enter the 'create a picture book' with some Y1's. Open to all ages!

Anything to engage with books is fab! :o

I read The Hobbit to my lads when thehy were around 7/9.

My theme at the moment is "dragons" - responding to children's interest from Chinese New Year - and we read exerts from the Hobbit last week which they loved (Y2). I was in Waterstones yesterday and saw (bought) a copy of the graphic novel (bit like a comic) which I hope some will read independently.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97802...t-Graphic-Novel

9780261102668.jpg

Roald Dahl books always seem to go down quite well with 7/8 year old

My favourites are The Twits, James and the Giant Peach, Georges marvellous medicine and The BFG

Thanks for the great ideas! I love The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and might use that. Roald Dahl books are great too so I'll look into those as well, I know I've got some somewhere!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)