Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whats Your Topic This Half Term? No Signs Of Spring Yet!

Hi all, hope everyone had a nice rest over half term.

What topics are people covering this half term? Ours is meant to be 'spring and growth', but I feel it's a little early to begin with snow still on the ground, so looking for something to do for a couple of weeks!

We don't really plan topics. If they arise, they come from what the children are interested in. At the moment they're obsessed with a book called Doctor Miaow's Big Emergency, so we have a hospital set up in our role play area and we'll see where they take it. Today its all been x-rays!

Beehive

We started doing the Birdwatch thingy for the RSPB and the children are still very much into the birds, I sent away for some stuffed toy birds which have their song recorded inside and so we are making a birds nest for them and will now begin to talk about how the birds prepare for spring and raising their young etc.

They make bird cake for the feeders every few days and feed the birds each day, some of them recognise and name all of the birds that visit now

we are also looking at spring with the children with a batch of 6 hens eggs arriving tomorrow to incubate and keep a diary of! we are also growing things from seed including fast growing cress so they get the idea quickly!! we made season charts today and will, like you, wish very hard that spring gets a wriggle on!!!!

Au contraire! we have crocus and snowdrop in the preschool garden and lots of daffs poking through. The catkins are looking lovely and we've loads of primulas in pots indoors.

We're looking at the weather at the moment as it seems to be the general topic of conversation. We are recording temperature outdoors in the morning and the afternoon and what the weather is actually 'doing', then at the end of the week we're going to make a grid of weather.

we are doing growing but our story focus for the term is Jack and the beanstalk - we made a garden centre role play area in the garden today - we talked about preparing our gardens for the spring - digging buying plants etc and they have enjoyed setting that up. However i think growing is going to take a different direction in my class as two children have new brothers since the holidays and one of mine announced her mothers pregnancy to the entire class and parents this monring - the babys have been in great demand so i feel a baby clinic might be in order!!!

We are doing health & growth too, I began to make our 'healthy heart cafe', lots of hearts & themed writing frame to make menus & take orders.....I think I may need to extend it though as not too many of my boys are overwhelmed with the hearts :o I've just got out my Lazy Town Superhero Foods book & was thinking of turning it into a cafe for superheroes....I'll see what the kids think?

I've got lots of things planned for outside in the garden, (when the some lets up) including the TEE PEE idea that was posted on the forum. Ohhh & lots more.

Story focus is Dr.Dog, he's soooo funny xD

Hope you guys are having fun.

We have gone all over the place following interests...Birdwatch lasted a couple of weeks for us...and then we were all into SPACE - and today several children were mentioning death! A great grandparent has passed away and this provoked much conversation about dying and what happens to pets and stuff......I don't intend to to a DEATH topic but we will certainly be following this conversation with the children with stories and support for this sensitive issue.

Also a lot of our children are really into dinosaurs and construction = we are making dinosaur dens this week too....we seem to change as the days go on....the children are definetly leading our practice... :oxD

Also gardening is really popular at the moment.

Edited by Guest

My topics are seasonally based and I think the children have pretty much exhausted all our winter activities. I'm not starting spring yet as I think we'll start it on St davids's day (i'm welsh, so very relevant festival for me!!) so next week I'm using some children's interest in boxes and have planned some activities around the Kippers Toybox story

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)