Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Half-term Highlights?

Am I the world's worst housewife?

My work/life balance is so out of kilter that this holiday (whilst sporadically playing with my own children and trying to get them to help) I have:

-Changed the sheets for the first time in weeks

-Done the hand washing that has been in the bottom of the laundry basket since October

-Done the ironing for the first time in months including the tablecloth and napkins from Christmas day

-Sorted through my children's drawers and found things that are 2 years too small for them

-Wrestled with a mountain of recycling and stuff for the charity shop

-Sorted through the basket of papers/school letters that has built up since Christmas

I have 2 small children and work as a Pre-school leader and just don't ever seem to be able to keep up with the house stuff.

The food we are eating seems to be getting worse too as I never seem to have been shopping. Less home cooking and more tins of spaghetti hoops on toast than I would care to mention!

Any top tips from hard-working domestic goddesses?

Hi,

Thank you for your post you have reassured me so much!!! I was beginning to think I was the only parent who feels like this and I tend to turn it all in on myself and feel increasingly useless whihc I know is not true but past incidents cause that to happen.

Worked all morning today and grew increasingly frustrated at the moutain of school work i need to get done (I'm a Reception teacher) so did yet another load of washing and the bin is finally empty apart from those few handwashing bits.

Then took my youngest daughter to Sainsburys as we had no food in the fridge to eat a meal although the fridge looks full. Now doing some more school work and trying to get the girls to tidy their rooms as they are a mess and really need sorting but I don't have time to do them.

Have also found Christmas Thank you letters that we haven't posted so need to get them sorted before next week. Why is it there are always too many things to do and not enough hours?

Have also been listening to a De-stress CD, not sure I believe it will make a difference but worth giving it a try.

Keep going and try not to beat yourself up too much and if you find any magic solutions let me know

Nicky Sussex :oxD

You are not alone. All through primary school and secondary my lads knew if they wanted a clean shirt or socks or pe kit they always looked first in the tumble dryer and then in the dirty washing basket, or sometimes just on their bedroom floor. I never worked out how people did it all. I either went to work and fed us, or went to work and did the washing or went to work and did other general stuff. It was never going to vbe all of them.

It gets better, oldest son is at Uni now and I had to facebook him yesterday to tell him to come home, its tidy and there are fresh towels in the cupboard..not natural that.

Edited by Rea

i don't think there is a solution for our hectic lives other than being in employment that when you get up from your chair at work you don't have to think about it again untill the next time you are there!!!!!! well, as we all know only too well our job takes over our lives even if you try your hardest not to let it! this holiday i had told myself and all around me that i wasn't going to do loads of work as my health hasn't been too good over the last few months and needed a break but what have i done? scrubbed sanded and varnished the floor in our setting even though it belongs to the community centre, sorted all the usual paperwork out and generally done all the jobs that crop up that you can't do when the children are around. but i do love it and know that the children will greatly benifit by the behind the scene work that goes on so lets not worry about the things we haven't done but celebrate the things that we have!! :oxD

I am jealous that you have done that much.....I am forever falling behind and am chasing my tail......had a nice break though with my five children...bit of work...odd bit of housework!

I just cannot keep up with it all.....now at work it is a different matter...it seems to be so much more uptogether! :o

Yep I'm with you guys!

Half term isn't long enough to catch up with house work - I've really tried to just enjoy my kids without feeling to guilty - how mad is that!!!

I haven't had a half term break, as we are an allyear round provision. But this week has been a corker..................................what is the worst thing you can put down a lavatory????WETWIPES, that's what!! All my fault, i just didn't think........have been doing it forever..................until yesterday! Loo wasn't flushing, so i tried using a plunger to shift things.............limited success, but it did help. Then I thought, 'I know, I'll go and lift the drain cover, see what's going on'! NOT a grand idea...................what was going on, was a drain rammed FULL of wetwipes, intermingled with the reason for using wetwipes in the first place. I don't know how I kept my stomach in place, honestly.......it was eye-watering! Still, as a famous drain-clearing comapny charge £20O to clear it, i had a go myself...............on my knees picking 'stuff' out by hand, then buckets of water......................which didn't work, so i thought i'd got to B&Q to buy some rodding canes. One of our mums asked if we'd had a good morning, so i said no, and explained what i'd been up to and where i was off to.'Don't worry, I've got a set, pop them back to you in 5 minutes' says she, and off she goes. The woman was a flippin' marvel!! She stood astride the drain and went for it with those rods with a zeal i could only drop my jaw at!!! between us, it took FOUR HOURS to clear it, but clear it we did.How many of your parents would have done that for you????So moral of the tale: one very embarrassed narnia, who has now bought a huge supply of nappy sacks, so wetwipes can be disposed of, exactly as it tells me on the packs ( but which i have resolutely ignored!!), in the dustbin.

I'm with shirel - jealous that you managed that much! If I manage to get some washing and drying on tomorrow I will consider it an achievement and don't even think about the ironing or putting it away! I have slowed down a bit this holiday but that's been a bit of a mistake really as I'm now less inclined to do anything at all.

Way behind on paperwork, keep trying to be glad it is half term so know something is being done!

My top tip is to food shop online! Should have seen my sons face when he opened the fridge and there was food in it! Asda charge £3.50 to deliver, which i feel is worth it. Now takes 15 mins woo hoo!

Mind you, should have seen my face when sooo pleased got through all the washing only for him to tidy room ( which means toss everything into the wash basket) and its full again- sigh :o

Well I was feeling a bit useless about the fact the ironing in the bottom of my basket has been there since last summer but Narnia just cheered me up!

Even having to sit and stare at a half finished essay that has to be in on Monday (for which I have absolutely no inspiration whatsoever) is better than spending the afternoon pulling used wet wipes out of the drain. Have you heard of kandoo wipes Narnia? They are flushable!

Thank you for making me cringe and smile at the same time!

kandoo.....................................nope, not used those but am probably going to stick with my plan to bin it!! I had to come home and strip everything off, and chuck it all in washing machine..................nice shower and i just about felt human again!

Sorry to hear about your essay block though, I'm suffering one too. I have three to get in and totally uninspired!

Edited by narnia

kandoo.....................................nope, not used those but am probably going to stick with my plan to bin it!! I had to come home and strip everything off, and chuck it all in washing machine..................nice shower and i just about felt human again!

Sorry to hear about your essay block though, I'm suffering one too. I have three to get in and totally uninspired!

my hubby would be soooooooooo proud of you!!!

He won't even let me use a certain toilet paper that is very velvety soft as it had the same effect as wet wipes.

Can i join the 'assignment block' club please?

xxx

Have you heard of kandoo wipes Narnia? They are flushable!

Kan-don't!! :o A friend spent 4 hours in the same activity as Narnia after his daughter toilet trained using these - stick to binning them, honestly rodding drains is the worst thing EVER!

Nona

Thank you chocisgood. There are some really good pointers in that document.

One daughter is playing in the snow the other one is at the stables. I now have no excuse not to open that essay and get it finished. Somehow I think this will be an 'at least it passed' essay.

Now, where did I put my motivation? :o

Now, where did I put my motivation? :o

Right I've sent you some - motivation that is - have you got it yet!

What a sad bunch we are - far too much 'work' going on! xD

Soooooo - I've done some of my 'half term to do' list - hmmm........not much of it to be honest :(

The highlight of my half term has been watching my darling grandaughters have their swimming lessons - one very proud nana! :(

Oh well onwards and upwards.........

How about asking the employer/committee or whoever to pay for a cleaner, cook and washer of clothes!

No joy, ah well, best hope that at some point there is time and inclination, at present though....

I'M having FUN with the kids - MY OWN ONES! :(:(:( :wacko:

Or is that not allowed by the powers that be :o

Spiral xD

Thanks Sunnyday, just picked it up.

I might manage to concentrate for more than five minutes at a time now. Perhaps I'll make myself wait at least one hour before I can check FSF or Facebook for updates.

As for the rest of the to do list? Well I may have to have a snowball fight later if it hasn't all melted by then :o

Ironing? What's that? At least no-one's mentioned the dreaded SEF so far xD

Edited by Upsy Daisy

See, thats exactly how it should be - kids playing and having fun at home!

Just noticed the posts about the wet wipes - BEWARE as I heard they can block sewers easily. there are a few others who have experienced this, beware, beware :o

Spiral

I haven't had a half term break, as we are an allyear round provision. But this week has been a corker..................................what is the worst thing you can put down a lavatory????WETWIPES, that's what!! All my fault, i just didn't think........have been doing it forever..................until yesterday! Loo wasn't flushing, so i tried using a plunger to shift things.............limited success, but it did help. Then I thought, 'I know, I'll go and lift the drain cover, see what's going on'! NOT a grand idea...................what was going on, was a drain rammed FULL of wetwipes, intermingled with the reason for using wetwipes in the first place. I don't know how I kept my stomach in place, honestly.......it was eye-watering! Still, as a famous drain-clearing comapny charge £20O to clear it, i had a go myself...............on my knees picking 'stuff' out by hand, then buckets of water......................which didn't work, so i thought i'd got to B&Q to buy some rodding canes. One of our mums asked if we'd had a good morning, so i said no, and explained what i'd been up to and where i was off to.'Don't worry, I've got a set, pop them back to you in 5 minutes' says she, and off she goes. The woman was a flippin' marvel!! She stood astride the drain and went for it with those rods with a zeal i could only drop my jaw at!!! between us, it took FOUR HOURS to clear it, but clear it we did.How many of your parents would have done that for you????So moral of the tale: one very embarrassed narnia, who has now bought a huge supply of nappy sacks, so wetwipes can be disposed of, exactly as it tells me on the packs ( but which i have resolutely ignored!!), in the dustbin.

I started reading this and it reminded me of what keeps happening in the neigbouring road.

Our poor next door neigbhours drain keeps blocking up. One day they opened it up to find a load of 'adult' nappies and wipes stuck down the drain! Yep the nearby neighbours had been putting them down the loo instead of in the bin!!!!!

Narnia at least there wasn't nappies down there too otherwise you would have been there for years! lol