Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scrapstores

Verona

I went to our local Alchemist scrapstore this afternoon and to put it bluntly - IT'S A LOAD OF RUBBISH!! :o Well I know thats what it is really but it's getting ridiculous. The same old things - cardboard, buttons, little bits of material, a few different kinds of empty plastic bottle, ice cream tubs and lids. It's not cheap either. I pay a yearly fee. Not very inspiring! Are there any out there that I could visit outside my area (if allowed by the authorities) I don't mind travelling a bit.

Sue J

hi ya,

a school i was at on teaching practice once went to one of those. they paid the fee and hardly ever used it, it worked out cheaper and easier to collect the rubblish for themselves (sorry if thats dampened your hopes of finding one that isnt as rubbish)

I've just gone to Google and looked up scrap stores and there is one in Lewes (bit far) and one in Portsmouth that sounds huge -I wonder what that's like - anyone know about it?

I noticed that there was one in Southampton (East Point Centre) but then I noticed you come from round that way Carolyn so perhaps that's your one?

The yearly subscription is due in April but I'm seriously thinking of stopping it - at the moment it's not worth the money.

Sue J

Please use Scrap Stores! They are such a good idea and need our support. I am a member of the Dorset Scrap Store at Puddletown and although it is quite small it has a large warehouse and they also deal with requests and will try and source things for you. They always have card, material, ribbon, plastics, wood offcuts and different paper and occaisionally get very unusual job lots. There is a large Scrap Store in Portsmouth which received a huge amount of Lottery funding so it should be well stocked. These Scrap stores are usually run by volunteers and have charity status. they have to pay rent and cover overheads and pay for the upkeep of a van etc. without us they will fizzle out. We should be inspired by what they have and if anyone is reading that hasn't been - try it ! :D

Teri

I think I will contact the scrapstore in Portsmouth to see if I can join and what the fee is. Ours used to be wonderful and I was always singing their praises but over the last 18months it has gone downhill.

I wouldn't be able to go as often as I would like as it is quite a few miles but if it's good it would be worth a trip every so often.

Sue J

Like Teri I use the one in Puddletown near Dorchester and I just love it. I don't go as often as I'd like 'cos of the opening hours and it's quite far but it is well worth the visit. Think the bags have gone up to £5 now and renewal membership is £12.

Yes sometimes, it does seem like the same thing, but it's great for getting paper. Went once and got hold of the big files that hospitals used for putting x-rays in - they look just the job when we have a hospital role play corner! But I've also got hold of loads of 'rubbish' that I just haven't found a use for yet and it doesn't look too attractive piled high in boxes on our bedroom wardrobes gathering dust!!!!!!!!!!

janice :o

You sound like me Janice, I go to the Resource centre near me (well 12 miles away) and buy things 'just in case' and 'I'll think of a use for that'. The other staff go mad at me!! Our place is council run, but great for getting odds and ends as well as new stuff.

Hi Sue -

The one in Lewes isn't inspiring I'm afraid. We used to visit until about three years ago, but very rarely found stuff we could use. Also, as Janice says, the hours are very restricted, so make sure you know they'll be open if you decide to visit.

If I get time I'll pop back down over the next couple of weeks and see if it's improved! :)

Thanks Steve, that would be great if you have time to pop and have a look to see what it's like now. I've got while before the renewal date of the one near me so I have time to look around.

Yes, I think High Wycombe is a bit too far even for me hali. :o

Thanks

Sue J

Hi Sue,

I think the Portsmouth one is near me. You pay an annual fee, which is £76 pounds per year. Ok now you have picked up your dropped jaws, you can go as many times a week as you want and take what is on offer. Some things are limited in number but if you went every other day.............. you get the idea. Some trips I come back with a car full other times very little. It does pay to go regularly. They also have a little shop selling bits and bobs out back which is worth a look.

If you want any more details just let me know.

Hope that help.

Gizzy

Hi Hali

Have you visited the one at the Haymill Centre run by Slough Borough Council? Opens Tuesday and Thursday, I think. Haven't been for a while, but they get lots of stuff from local companies on the Slough Estates - loads of lego from Legoland, tubes etc from Sara Lee, sticky backed plastic (the stuff used to make signs on cars, I think). They used to have a whole load of the little toys that come free in cereal boxes, all in their plastic wrappers which we have used before for party bags etc.

I think the resources available are somewhat variable, because I guess you can't always rely on donations.

The centre holds a wide variety of resources which are available for groups based in Slough - great for getting ideas, and there are whole load of books which you can usually look at, although again these are for Slough groups/childminders to borrow.

If you're interested I'll dig out the contact details - who knows I might see you there!

Maz

The East Point one in Southampton is ours - it's not that big and I think more expensive than the Portsmouth one. I have heard of the big one in Portsmouth and an even bigger one in Bristol, but the prices are so huge now that for a small preschool like ours we can't make enough use of it to be worthwhile - we just can't use that much stuff! However buying things like card and scraps of fabric seem pointless (and wasteful) when others are throwing them away!

Carolyn

I have membership for the craft bank in Portsmouth and i don't think it is that great :oxD:(

On very few occasions they do have some different items but generally all i get is the gold and silver card, i do wonder each year when i am paying £70+ if it is really worth it?

Like Gizzy says if you go regularly you have much more chance of finding the useful items.

I pay £74 a year and it's open 3 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day. Exactly the same as you Gizzy, you can go as many times as you like, some things are limited, etc. It used to be worth it but it's really run down now. Perhaps I will have the details from you Gizzy please. You could PM them to me if you want to. Of course, they might not let someone from outside their area join anyway - just a thought.

Thanks

Sue J

Blimey!! :o £74 a year?? We pay £12 a year and there is usually loads of stuff to cart away. There's new stuff inside (fairly cheap too) but outside, in the garages there loads and loads of old stuff from companies and exhibitions, shops, factories and everywhere. We can fill a big plastic bag from the garages for £1.50, or pay 5p for big sheets of card, £1 for yd of fabric. They have disused desks, cabinets, chairs, typewritters, paint cans, cardboard tubing from rolls of fabric, cotton reels, sheets of sponge...oh I could go on :D They also have a playground, badge maker, parachute, bouncy castle and other big stuff for hire.

It's also open the whole of term time.

Ok I'll go now before I make you jealous xD:D

Magenta, it's in Ward End park, Washford Heath Road, Ward End. Phone no. is 01214644218. It might be £16 a year not £12, but thats still good value. It's open 9 - 3 weekdays except Thursday when it's open till 4pm. They used not to be open during the holidays but I think now they are, children are not allowed though.

Happy shopping :D

There's a brand new scrap store just opened in Burgesss Hill which a friend and colleague of mine says is better than the Alchemist one. Run by a very obliging bloke too. :D

Kate

• 2 months later...

This evening, on Meridian News, there was an item on the Beneficial Foundation materials bank. It looked huge and had lots of lovely bits and pieces and made me feel quite envious of those who live near by and can take advantage of it.

Anita

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

just browsing and came across this topic.

I have used the scrap store in Birmingham, and there is also one in Wolverhampton, yearly fee is about £20. SCARF EASTFIELD SCHOOL COLLIERY ROAD WOLVERHAMPTON WV1 2QY 01902 558603.

Its small and has really unusual bits, like odd metal fasteners or cork cutouts and the sheet it was cut out of, unlike Birmingham it does not have much in the way of commercial paper, paints etc, but for bags of bits it quite good. Really helpful staff, who were happy to give me ideas how to use the bits.

I also found a website which has a list of scrapstores at

http://www.home-education.org.uk/scrap.htm

Hope its of use

Aunty. :)

I know its a bit rural but for those of you in the West Midland or Wales area there is a scrapstore in Church Stretton, Shropshire. Where I hear you cry? Its between Shrewsbury and Ludlow on the A49. The content is variable but usually good and its a fantastically beautiful, extremely unspoilt part of the world too! A bonus.........