Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese Dragon

I have planned to have a group activity where we make a large Chinese dragon which we can then use to dance with to chinese music while celebrating Chinese New Year. I've watched video clips of people holding sticks supporting the dragon while dancing.

Not being very creative, I can't think how to make the body part of the dragon that the children can go under, other than just using a piece of material. Also, what could we use for the head of the dragon? Would love to let the children be creative and select from various paper, materials, streamers, tissue, shiny paper, etc, but what to use as the base? Just gone brain dead this evening, so could do with some ideas!

Thanks!

Could you get hold of a cardboard box? The children could decorate it with red and gold paints or paper or maybe tissue paper stuck on as scales. Then you could create a dragon face on the front with red tissue paper streams coming out as flames.

For the body, to be a bit different you could dress the children in red, yellow and gold outfits with tissue paper streamer hats and arrange some sort of face paints to match their outfits.

They could even have streamers tied to their wrists to wave as they move.

We've done this really simply with a cardboard box head - roughly coloured and decorated by the children and then just a conga style line of children holding a large piece of fabric over their heads. Even though it was quick and simple the children loved it.

Theres a photo on an old thread showing a dragon body made out of a child's tunnel, using a broom to direct it I think, the photo was from Peggy I think. We have used the cardboard head before and length of material.

What do you use for music? Have you any suggestions?

One year we had a lovely Chinese family come to our setting and the children played drums while the Lion danced.

my son helped me to download some dragon dances from the internet last night so I was able to show the children this morning. The music is very basic - by that I mean it is drums, cymbals, something the children could quite easily do - (it's just about making a noise). We have a cd with chinese music on, but that is very traditional and quite calming really, not up to the job of a dragon dance.

We have decorated a cardboard box this year, I painted it matt black and the children have stuck all manner of stuff on, we have enlarged on the photocopier a picture of a chinese dragon head and stuck that on too. Attached to this, we have covered lots of 2litre juice boxes with paper and the children have collaged onto those, just need to attach them to the head now.

Hi We have used a cardboard box for head, children pasted on red and green crepe paper, tomorrow am going to put out selection of sparkly, shiny things to add. For the body we are going to attach a sheet that the children can staple tinsel and streamers and fasten hula hoops inside for them to hold and give some shape - don't know if that will work but will find out soon!

Downloaded music that was cheap - Chinese Dragon Dance music and the children listened to this last session - they danced and played along with drums etc.

Gwenniex

Our children all make their own mask so they all get a turn at being the head and have something to take home afterwards. These are on the wall as a display at the moment and we'll take them down to do the dance on Friday. The body is an old sleeping bag which has a great, colourful design on and covers several children at once

We went with the cardboard box head (with egg box to make it more 'dragony') and a sheet which the children drew patterns on with wax crayons, then painted with Brusho as it gives a really bright result even on fabric. They loved making their dragon dance!

Beehive

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)